Guys, we have a member who could use our help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the double post. And it is a great group of people who really help in a time of need.

(Copperone @ Dec. 04 2006,18:53) Man I'm really glad this is working out.  What a great bunch of people we have here.  It's an honor to be associated with you all.
I couldn't have put that better. This board really reinforces faith in the goodness in people.
beerchug.gif

(Wag @ Dec. 04 2006,08:37) This a subject that hits me VERY close to my heart.

Quick story.  Well, two, actually.

Several years ago, my grandmother fell and broke her hip.  Went to the hospital and spent about six weeks there.  For some reason, she kept having complication after complication and we though she was going to spend the rest of her life there.  

I called her once.  I spoke to her for a good long hour and had the best conversation I've ever had with her in all my life.  We talked about things that we had never been able to talk about before and I hung up thinking, "This is the start of something REALLY good!"

A week later, she had some sort of embolism and died.  Turns out, she did spend the rest of her life there.  Turns out it was the beginning of something good.  My only regret was in having not been able to go see her before she died.  Well, we visited her a lot during her last couple of years so I don't regret it too terribly much.  But I'm VERY glad I picked up the phone and called her and I hold the memory precious and close to my heart to this day.

Fast forward one year to story #2.  My grandfather kept having water collection around his lungs.  He'd go into the hospital, spend a week getting recovered and be okay for six or eight weeks and then have to do it all over again.

Thanksgiving that year rolled around and we went to visit family.  Grandpa was in the hospital again and couldn't join the family.  We dropped in to visit him and had a low-key conversation.  Grandpa just wasn't himself for a couple of hours.  Normally, he had always been very garrulous with plenty to say.  Very intelligent, powerful man.

That day, however, the change in him was a little depressing.  One word answers, low tone, no eye contact.  That kind of thing.  Finally, I said, "Grandpa, you're really missing Grandma, aren't you?"

He lit up like a neon sign, the change was that dramatic.  He became his old self again, brewing in his memories and talking about his late wife, the adventures he had had with her and their kids and a great many other cool things that I hadn't heard before.  He was, for the next few hours, the man I had known and loved.  I still have fond memories of that meeting with him.

After a while, he finished talking and as the moments faded away, he became the morose, quite man he had been when we walked into the hospital room.  I knew he was a believer so after a few minutes . . . .  (Getting hard to see the screen).    After a few minutes, I said, "Grandpa, if you want to go to Grandma, you should go.  You don't have to hang out here any more.  The love of your life is waiting for you."

He started to cry and said, "Yeah, that's what I need to do."

I said, "Yeah, we'll miss you but we'll always be happy for you."

He smiled, a smile of peace through his tears.  I'm sure he had made up his mind at that point.  We kissed him and hugged him and left for the long trip back home.  I told my wife, "Grandpa is going to die this week."

As expected, a week later, he called all four of his kids together and met with them in his hospital room.  To this day, none of them will tell what he said during that meeting but it doesn't matter to me.  What he said to them was for them.  What he said to my wife and I was a treasure I will hold in my heart for as long as I live.

Yamahor, please go see your grandfather.  If everyone else hadn't already chipped in, I'd pay for it myself somehow.

I have to wait for the bank to transfer $$$ to my PayPal account but when it gets there, I'll send it to you.  Not a whole lot, but it should help.  But I mean what I said.  If you come up short and need more, please PM me and let me know.  You WILL go to see your grandfather if I have anything to say about it.  

--Wag--
Man, after quickly reading through this today to get some money out tonight, I finally could sit back and read this, Wag. Really touching, and all I can say is how blessed they were to have a grandson like you. I pray that Ben's visit is just as blessed as yours were.

$25.00 sent.

Ben give your grandfather a big hug for all of us! I lost my grandfather to cancer about 10 years ago.

Merry Christmas.

Guys,
I just sent another $100.25 to Ben via Paypal --- for those of you just tuning in, I am trying to turn the funds around as soon as they come in so that he has access as quickly as possible!

A better update tomorrow!

Thanks for all you guys are doing!

Okay. I'm checking into flights or driving... Gonna be close to the same price either way, But I HATE the idea of air holding me up. It never really seemed to be holding me up when I trip... ya know?
wow.gif

MC, a friend brought up a good point today. I donated already, but are we helping for travel only or is there more involved.

(GPW @ Dec. 04 2006,23:47) MC, a friend brought up a good point today. I donated already, but are we helping for travel only or is there more involved.
I actually agree. The raised amount should be more than enough for me to make it there and back.

bowdown.gif
THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE I NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE ALL OF YOU ARE GREAT PEOPLE I AM PROUD TO HAVE A HAYABUSA AND BE ON THIS WEBSITE
super.gif

Okay all - The word has come from Ben - between what he has already recieved from me and the checks that have been committed he says that he has more than he could have hoped for and wouldn't feel right about taking more.

If I could offer a suggestion - it would be that if you have made up your mind at this point that you have to donate - consider sending it to the board so that we all benefit or send it to someone in need.

I will make a full acounting in the morning - so please hold your donations, or re-direct them! I have no idea how much airfare would be, especially on short notice + hotel, etc. - but if Ben is good than I feel like we have accomplished something for one of our own.

I can not believe how this came together - it got so much bigger, so much faster than I thought it would.

Surprised the heck outta me. I leave my house to pick up a friend. When I come home, I see a thread for a member in need, then I open it and see all this. I had no idea MC was gonna do this. I thank you guys. I would've never guessed this would've happened. This is very touching to see. I'm really quite speechless, and for those of you that know me, you know thats a hard task to accomplish.
bowdown.gif

are you still taking donations? i would be happy to send as much as i can

Cool. I am glad that I could help. You know helping people in time of need makes you feel good in the inside :-)
Donald

(KanjiBusa @ Dec. 05 2006,00:07) are you still taking donations? i would be happy to send as much as i can
KanjiBusa,
Ben closed donations last night, but there are others who could use a little Christmas cheer - if all else fails, the board could use some help as well.

Merry Christmas

Shawn,

I just sent in some to your Paypal this morning.

I had to wait until my check cleared from Fridays deposit.

I have poked fun at Ben many times and we have shared many a joke, please forward it to a fellow member of F.K.R. for me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back