Gutting Stock Exhaust?

Payne

Registered
Now that spring is coming I need to do something with my stock exhaust cause its way too quiet. problem is I cant go out and buy something expensive because im a college student and that should explain everything :) . Ive heard of just taking the whole thing off and putting some tips on that but im not quiet sure on how that works. (if thats easier than gutting the stock ones im all for it)

I was wondering how it would sound if I just gutted or drilled the pipes. I thought drilling the pipes would be pretty much putting the drill in the opening and letting it rip, but on further "inspection" I kind of gave up because when I looked inside it didn't look like something I should mess with (well at least to my poor mechanical knowledge, which is VERY poor). Any help would be awesome!

a 20 year old on a Gen2? how do you afford the insurance? or liability only?

Hey, I'm 22 on a 07 bought in early 08. takes a lot of work, but anyone can do it. Sucks up a lotta my money to keep it going, but my comp ins. is only $38 a month.

State Farm. That's with state minimums and comp(has a lein on it). PRogressive quoted me almost 5500, and another ins. company was almost 3800.

I have full coverage from StateFarm pay 550 a year, but the bike is under my 60 year old aunt :rofl:

I did my research, all the LEOs I asked said its cool so im all good with that.

amng40 that sounds great except I wouldnt really want to shorten them, I dont mind the size, just the sound, you know how to gut it? Or is that a job that I cant do by myself.

If you gut them you might as well shorten them as it is not that much more work. If you gut them and leave them long there might be problems.

I say go for it, I just so happen to be rocking a set of shortened and gutted cans without any problems.

073.jpg

100_1000.jpg

Yeah I can see that, those look really good too! Where would I go to shorten them? And what would be the cost?

Don't just go out and start drilling and cutting if you don't know how to go about it. I have a set of 02 mufflers drilled out for a little more noise, and less restrictive than than stock cans and half the weight. I have about 6 hours fitting them on the 08. You can have them for $40.00 plus shipping. email pics if you want.:welcome:

Yeah I can see that, those look really good too! Where would I go to shorten them? And what would be the cost?

You can do them yourself, on your first set expect about three hours work time on the first muffler and maybe 1.5 on the second. If you do a search there is a thread that lays out the whole procedure with photos.

Back