Guestimated speed

Devious

Onward through the Fog
Donating Member
Registered
So I topped it out (again) Sunday morning (Busa). What a rush. Man if that don't give you A Woody nothin' will. I just have no idea how fast I am going at 11.5K in 6th with 16/40 gearing. Since the speedo pegs at 185 and I know there is an error anyway, does anyone have a good guess as to what I am running at 11.5K. I do know at 5K RPM I am showing about 95MPH. So at a little under 10K in 6th I am already pegged with 1500 more RPM's to go.  
Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

David                                

Man it is  
hot.gif
down here

GPS is the best source to know your true speed!! ...if you dont want to invest on one, then I suggest you in for a Yellow Box to correct your speedo error!

GPS is the best source to know your true speed!! ...if you dont want to invest on one, then I suggest you in for a Yellow Box to correct your speedo error!
But how's a Yellow Box going to help if the bike goes above 185?  The speedo hits the peg there.

GPS is the only way.

I had a speedohealer fitted to mine for a while, but as the Suzuki speedo doesn't have a linear error, you can only use the box to correct for one particular speed.  Trouble is, if you correct for higher speeds, the speedo will then under-read at 30/40/50, and in the UK we have thousands of speed cameras trying to take your licence away.  So look down and see 41 and a bit and think you will be safe in a 40 limit and the bike could be doing 46, which will trigger the camera.  Apart from the fine, get caught 4 times in 3 years and your are on public transport.

I've attached the error from my speedo.
first column is indicated speed
second is GPS recorded maximum
third is error as a percentage.  (Not linear)

Regards,

Steve

SpeedoError.jpg

get yourself one of these .
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

i picked mine up at a boat store for 100 bucks

the stock speedo sucks . both of my 05 busa's were doing about 162 to 164 on gps when the speedo said 185

just starp the gps to your handlebars and you are good to go

and one more thing , you wont have to look at the gps on a top speed run .

just do what you got to do and then afterwards you can press a button and see your peak speed

good luck

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127832284 -->

So I topped it out (again) Sunday morning (Busa). What a rush. Man if that don't give you A Woody nothin' will.[/QUOTE]

You got that right.
smile.gif

I did not see any mention of a TRE in your post. With a 16T front sprocket you would hit the speed limiter at about 173 actual. Based upon calibrating my speedometer with a Speedohealer and a calibrated police radar gun, your speedo error could be 13.5% at least if you have not corrected for the 16T gear. This would peg your speedo at 163 actual, or so, and you would continue to accelerate for some time after that to reach 173. The tach is also inaccurate and unless you have reflashed your ECU you would hit the limiter at 10800 actual, so, either you ahve reflashed the ECU, or you were not turning 11500. But, you must have a TRE, or you would have stopped revving before the tach showed 11500.

The tach is part of the question here. I don't have a TRE, just a PCIIIUSB and I don't think it will effect the speed limiter. I have ran the RPM's in 6th, several times up to 11.5K and even a little past that more than once with now hesitation or stutter.

By the way, I bought this bike new with less than 1 mile showing and it never left my sight after coming out of the crate. So now work has been done to the ECM. And no Speedo correction either.

So what gives?

eek2.gif

I don't really care what my actual speed is when it points to 180-190 or so. I just enjoy the rush and the really blurry guardrails on either side of me. What a rush, makes my days complete to do that.
smile.gif

Goldwanger,

If you have a stock Battlax tire on it and 16/40 gearing your top speed should be around 173mph actual. That is exactly what mine did with your setup and NO TRE!
wink.gif

The problem is with your tach and RPM?? Your bike will physically not run to 11,500 actual RPM. You are either hitting the limiter in 5th and don't realize your not in 6th or you have a aftermarket ECU or TRE and don't know it.

Otherwise your tach can indicate anywhere from 11,200-11,500 indicated but actual is only 10,800 in 1st-5th and 10,500 in 6th (without TRE).

The only way to know for sure is to get a GPS and check it. I use a Garmin Etrex which was only $99 from Wal-mart. Best mod you can buy if you want to know true speed of your bike.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Goldwanger,

If you have a stock Battlax tire on it and 16/40 gearing your top speed should be around 173mph actual.  That is exactly what mine did with your setup and NO TRE!
wink.gif

The problem is with your tach and RPM??  Your bike will physically not run to 11,500 actual RPM.  You are either hitting the limiter in 5th and don't realize your not in 6th or you have a aftermarket ECU or TRE and don't know it.

Otherwise your tach can indicate anywhere from 11,200-11,500 indicated but actual is only 10,800 in 1st-5th and 10,500 in 6th (without TRE).

The only way to know for sure is to get a GPS and check it.  I use a Garmin Etrex which was only $99 from Wal-mart.  Best mod you can buy if you want to know true speed of your bike.
wink.gif
I agree with the speed limit being about 173. And the tach is obviously optimistic. I do not know if the tach varies from bike to bike.
At the drag strip I shift at about 11200 indicated to avoid hitting the rev limiter. The rev kimiter at 10800 actual is somewhere between 11200-11300 indicated on the tach when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd but the tach may possibly lie a bit more in 6th when accelerating slower. I went about 170 on my bike one time by accident when comparing the Busa to my friend's '04 ZX-12R and that is really fast. The telephone poles look solid and stuff like that. It would be hard to tell the difference between 150 and 160 or 170, IMHO, although I am sure that you get used to it. So, you may never have hit an actual 173 yet since you would hit the rev limiter and there would be no mistaking that.
Next time you take your Busa to the end of speed, just leave it pegged until it hits the limiter and you will be traveling approx 173 MPH true. However, be sure and pick a safe place to do this since it takes a long time to slow down from 173 and you are covering 253.7 feet per sec (about 85 yards/sec for you football fans out there) at 173MPH.

wink.gif

I've come close to hitting the top end on my bike but can say with absolute certainty that I've hit 240 mph in a head down dive in freefall while skydiving. Still a lot faster than on my busa yet one hundred times safer than on any motorcycle. Speed makes my #### grow hard not matter how I get there.

Go mark about a tenth of a mile using you cars odometer (528 ft) Get a friend to use a stop watch and clock you.
divide the distance by the the time it took you.
(528 divided by 3= 176) that gives you feet per sec.
To convert that to MPH you divide the number by 1.466

You can use any distance you want. The 1.466 is a speed derivative.

But how's a Yellow Box going to help if the bike goes above 185? The speedo hits the peg there.

GPS is the only way.

I had a speedohealer fitted to mine for a while, but as the Suzuki speedo doesn't have a linear error, you can only use the box to correct for one particular speed. Trouble is, if you correct for higher speeds, the speedo will then under-read at 30/40/50, and in the UK we have thousands of speed cameras trying to take your licence away. So look down and see 41 and a bit and think you will be safe in a 40 limit and the bike could be doing 46, which will trigger the camera. Apart from the fine, get caught 4 times in 3 years and your are on public transport.

I've attached the error from my speedo.
first column is indicated speed
second is GPS recorded maximum
third is error as a percentage. (Not linear)

Regards,

Steve
your bike won't go over 185 with 1 tooth down in the front thats for sure.

OK, so you guys all think my bike won't go much over 170 or so. That's fair, I do know my pecker starts acting up and my anus gets real tight when the tach reads past 11K in 6th.
Let's consider this is all true. I have all the faith in you guys and your knowledge and experience. Still if that's all my bike will do, how is it that I can still stay ahead of all I have had the pleasure to race (for fun only) through all gears, and all the way up until they back off. I thought bikes like the 12R's could go well over the apparent top speed of my bike. I have not had any ZX, R1 or CBR beat me yet. And this is not a slam against any other bikes. I am very happy with all my bike will do as is. It's still a blast.

Back