grinding cam

OB_Badboost

Registered
To bigabusa.
I need help.If you shave a stock cam and use the stock dialing do you recieve more HP? If yes! I would like to know how many thousands of an inches if possible to shave on the stock cam for stock engine? Do you have an idea what's clearance I need between valves and pistons for safe operation? And do you measure that at TDC,5 deg, 10 deg or 15 deg after top dead center?

PS If you have more HP how many you get with stock dialing. I have a complete exaust system on mine.

Please Help me!!

Thanks

Gérald

you need to dial the cams in, there is no short cut. I played for 2 days to get the best out of my regrinds on the dyno. cam grinding companies don't know what is the best set up, they grind cams not dyno engines. start at say 105 l/c's and move up and down, one cam at a time 2 or 3 degrees. you just have to work at it. if I sell my grind i can confidently give the best l/c's for overall best power. with standard pistons and std head there is no valve to piston problems.

A person spends countless hours doing things like dialing cams and such....and it makes it really hard to just give that kind of info away.

All setups have different specs.

Richard, could have the same package in his motor that I do but if there was one little difference like 10 thous more milled off My head....it might need a totally different dialing setup. (does that make since?)

The higer state of tune the more important are the degreeing of cams. On my dragbike ( Old gs1100 1427cc 31-27 valves VHR stage 3 cams ( 385 lift ) ) I lost 40 yes -FORTY- horsepower at 7000 rpm by moving the cams from 105 to 110 lobesenter. I gained 15 at 11000 though and kept on makin horsepover all the way to my rev limit at 11750rpm.
All in all I became quicker by loosing those 40 hp because now it dont wheelie half as much as before.

Frank. My wheelbase is only 60 inches. Got no real problem with braking loose the tire, got much more problems staying on two wheels :)
Unles we are talking racing on the street. There I got to much power everywhere. ( And I hope the same problem will be on my dragbusa :) )

and nitrous cam timing will throw another wrench into this situation.because it is not the same as normaly asperated when you use a large amount.

Back