Great White Down... Son & Girlfriend Walked Away

The only time I went down was at about 15MPH from exactly the same thing. Pick Up in front of the van that was in front of me. I never saw the oil come off the truck because of the van. All of a sudden I was just going down.

Amazing the damage done to my jacket and helmet. At 15MPH!!!!!

I’m surprised. Thought for sure it was a goner. When I wrecked my first Busa the service manager was a friend. He asked if I wanted it back. I said no and the bill kept climbing. Totalled. Make sure they fix everything right and don’t cheap out straightening brackets and stuff.

Well, I had to get out of the house and while I was out I thought I'd go by the stealership and see the bike myself and see what they had done during the estimate. Nothing. Its outside and not one bolt has been touched and of course the estimate was done by a walk around visual only. I had the guy that was working with the adjuster to talk with and he was very open and even pulled it up on his computer estimate. The stealership is at $10,500 but he said it is salvageable. I think this is just a process and they must kick most anything to the curb and quickly. I would of never imagined this amount of dollars in damage at all. Oh well! I would of took pictures but not one thing has been touched.
My bike was wrecked and it cost me about 5-6k to fix but I didn’t do insurance I just fixed it all myself over the last year. Also did a lot of upgrades along the way but yea the parts add up hella quick,

Exactly, he could not see the oil until it was to late. I'm still not understanding the dealership telling me they are at $10,500 on repair. Progressive told my son they never seen that number.

The only time I went down was at about 15MPH from exactly the same thing. Pick Up in front of the van that was in front of me. I never saw the oil come off the truck because of the van. All of a sudden I was just going down.

Amazing the damage done to my jacket and helmet. At 15MPH!!!!!

I'm sure my son and I if he needs me will be taking the panels off and looking for every screw/bolt/tab and such in hopes it will be OK. He told Progressive as well to not bother with the Yoshi R77's as he is going to get a 4 into 1 and I'm not sure what brand of the two... Brock's or the Akrapovic. I like the Akrapovic myself.

I’m surprised. Thought for sure it was a goner. When I wrecked my first Busa the service manager was a friend. He asked if I wanted it back. I said no and the bill kept climbing. Totaled. Make sure they fix everything right and don’t cheap out straightening brackets and stuff.

I really wish we were doing the tear down and repair but he cannot afford an out of pocket cost like this.

My bike was wrecked and it cost me about 5-6k to fix but I didn’t do insurance I just fixed it all myself over the last year. Also did a lot of upgrades along the way but yea the parts add up hella quick,

I think mine came in at like 4K in that little low speeder. The panels on a Gen 1 are pricey. Plus they allowed for new helmet and jacket. My OEM exhaust can got a little scuff. That can in at like $800 just for that. So it paid for my 4-1 Tsukigi.

I really wish we were doing the tear down and repair but he cannot afford an out of pocket cost like this.
When I had dealings with progressive on a car they wrote a check in my name to give to thr shop that wrote the estimate and he told me I could have easily kept the check and done whatever repairs I wanted as it was technically my money. Not sure how much truth ti alk that but I have seen it done and as long as the vehicle is repaired can't imagine anything wrong with it

When I had dealings with progressive on a car they wrote a check in my name to give to thr shop that wrote the estimate and he told me I could have easily kept the check and done whatever repairs I wanted as it was technically my money. Not sure how much truth ti alk that but I have seen it done and as long as the vehicle is repaired can't imagine anything wrong with it

The insurance company is compensating you for loss of value to your property. You’re under no obligation to have any repairs done. You can do whatever you want with the money.

The insurance company is compensating you for loss of value to your property. You’re under no obligation to have any repairs done. You can do whatever you want with the money.
Unless they write the check to you and your repair facility. I think it varies by state.

Unless they write the check to you and your repair facility. I think it varies by state.

Yeah, probably varies a bit by state. I’ve only been involved with claims in WA and CA. Doesn’t seem like a joint check or repairs could be mandated through. Total loss wouldn’t require you buy the same vehicle or even replace the vehicle at all, and wouldn’t require a joint check to a dealer. IDK, not my field of expertise, just thinking out loud.

Bike still at dealer and no go on any repairs as they are waiting on parts. All while bike in out in the weather. If it was mine I'd have it home or at least go cover it up.

Bike still at dealer and no go on any repairs as they are waiting on parts. All while bike in out in the weather. If it was mine I'd have it home or at least go cover it up.
Bring it home cash the check and fix it yourselves, just taking the labor out will save quite a bit and knowing it was done properly and be a good time ti throw the labor money into mods :thumbsup:
Yes I know it's not yours and if it was this would probably already happened just throwing out what I would do if it was me and it was doable.

Yeah, probably varies a bit by state. I’ve only been involved with claims in WA and CA. Doesn’t seem like a joint check or repairs could be mandated through. Total loss wouldn’t require you buy the same vehicle or even replace the vehicle at all, and wouldn’t require a joint check to a dealer. IDK, not my field of expertise, just thinking out loud.
I agree with your logic, but it's insurance....
I've had one claim issue the check to me and the body shop, I didn't fix it and the guy signed it over to me, I knew him and he said he wasn't supposed to. I live in Illinois. Not my area of expertise either, and I've had other claims come directly to me as well.

I'd be complaining about it being outside big time. It doesn't sit outside at home, and they aren't going to replace parts which are rusty or corroded....

Coming from the bike shop industry. Their storage is so so , and they do not care about great white . its a number Mike .
The weather over 60 to 90 days will impact little. We ride them in the weather ;) .
Insurance for some of you is not the days of old . If you have a lean / loan you won't get a check .
They will pay a authorized repair shop of your choice to repair , and replace the bike . Often your loan has the fine print requiring crash repairs performed by a authorized facility.
Mike you can take them a bike cover of your own

if they pay you out and write the check to you and the shop, and you don't do the repairs look for a cancellation from them. Lots of us use the insurance money to mod the bike then have more claims down the road for stuff the insurance company thinks they already fixed in the first claim. A neighbor works for a major insurance company (full disclosure I don't use him) but he tells horror stories about what happens to bikes that have a major crash.

The bike repair industry is still in the dark ages compared to cars. To be honest, I think a lot of shops take the check and then cheat on parts and fixes. It's the wild, wild west out there. That's why as much as I hate it it's worth establishing some sort of relationship with your dealer, just in case you get a problem that you can't handle.

To add to this, once it is known to be an insurance repair, the prices seem to jump...and the time line to make the repair seems to go into a stand still.

Sadly, it would have been better if the bike had been very visually written off with no possibility of repair.
I'd imagine when and if it gets repaired, the crash will always be in the back of your son's mind.

Sitting here at stealership as we received call that she was done. Bike was outside and my son walks around it. Fairing not installed correctly of broken hooks or both on new fairing. Bolt not tight and two missing push pins. Brockes mirror block off plates are faded terribly and Yoshi R77’s are no longer bright shinny black. R77’s are not an issue now, they had ordered new ones but sent back for what ever reason. Akro 4 into 1’s will be ordered tonight. So, my son will remove everything tonight to check what he can’t see. Typical BS as I would suspect. It’s inside again right now for the goon that put it together to fix these issues or break something. My anxiety is through the roof.

Back