Great White Down... Son & Girlfriend Walked Away

There you go…. we were online last night and there are still plenty of red/white Pearl 2018's new around. I'm sure his is fixable but if it was to get totaled... "Not Likely" we would drive out of state and bring him a new one home.
If that ends up being the case, I'm sure your Busa family will help you guys find the right one, and get the deal done.

Sorry to hear, that Busa hurts, but glad all are OK.
Over the years on the street I have learned to scan the pavement continuously for gravel, oil slicks etc. and light on the front brake at intersection stops. The worst is diesel, like getting onto an ice rink.

That’s a sad sight. Reminds me of the time I went down and rashes the same side on mine. Glad they are ok.

We took Great White to the local dealer yesterday per Progressive and had it checked in. Felt terrible to leave it there for me and my son. I just hate that feeling. Progressive is supposed to go in by end of week and see what the dealer sees for an estimate. I noticed on the drive over the triple tree as I had mentioned is tweaked and as well the mid clamp/tree that is half way down the forks are as well tweaked. This is my first time with a wrecked bike but I'm thinking $4k - $5K. I just like to make a guess. Anyways, should have some info soon and see how this goes down.

We took Great White to the local dealer yesterday per Progressive and had it checked in. Felt terrible to leave it there for me and my son. I just hate that feeling. Progressive is supposed to go in by end of week and see what the dealer sees for an estimate. I noticed on the drive over the triple tree as I had mentioned is tweaked and as well the mid clamp/tree that is half way down the forks are as well tweaked. This is my first time with a wrecked bike but I'm thinking $4k - $5K. I just like to make a guess. Anyways, should have some info soon and see how this goes down.

A point to remember is that the cost of repair is measured against the cost of the bike to determine whether it will be totaled or not. Not sure if the threshold is the same for every insurance company, but not knowing the exact cost of the bike a conservative estimate is you are looking at around 33% cost to repair. I think when I had that done to one of mine the threshold was 40%, so it may be close.

I think it will be close. The good thing is he bought GAP. If I had my way he would be a Dave Ramsey faithful follower and paid cash. Either way this goes he will be back in the saddle soon.

A point to remember is that the cost of repair is measured against the cost of the bike to determine whether it will be totaled or not. Not sure if the threshold is the same for every insurance company, but not knowing the exact cost of the bike a conservative estimate is you are looking at around 33% cost to repair. I think when I had that done to one of mine the threshold was 40%, so it may be close.

You bet and we have had these conversations but
I guess we get caught up in the excitement of riding .

That oil is raw unused oil
and must of came out of
a large container maybe

being hauled in say
someone's pickup truck .

I assume you guys
can see the videos ?

:banghead:

It was a lesson, be safe and even then you can get bit in the arse! They both have a little rash but pride is hurt more then anything. He loves his Busa like we all do...
It looks bad but mostly plastic damage. Sorry that happened but not to bad. The call alone took a few years off life no doubt.. Glad they are okay, experience is a BITCH but you can't do it for him unfortunately. He will be that much wiser.

Figure in the dealer labor to repair at about $100/hour. I saw a stolen bike at shop disassembled, bubble wrapped, and boxed. Down to bare frame. Not a scratch on it. It was totalled on labor cost alone.

10 Jul 2019, Progressive and the dealership met with their first go on the damage to Great White. I'm surprised... the Progressive rep called my son and said they are at, at least $6000 and still need to evaluate the forks to determine if they are bent. Standby and maybe will have the results by end of week or early next week. That is a lot of money and a bit more then I thought. Hurry up and wait!

Last edited:
Well, I had to get out of the house and while I was out I thought I'd go by the stealership and see the bike myself and see what they had done during the estimate. Nothing. Its outside and not one bolt has been touched and of course the estimate was done by a walk around visual only. I had the guy that was working with the adjuster to talk with and he was very open and even pulled it up on his computer estimate. The stealership is at $10,500 but he said it is salvageable. I think this is just a process and they must kick most anything to the curb and quickly. I would of never imagined this amount of dollars in damage at all. Oh well! I would of took pictures but not one thing has been touched.

yup thats been my experience too. They do not want to be responsible for something going wrong after the fix...so they just junk it. You do not want a salvaged title.

Well, my son just texted me as he called Progressive while driving to work. The Great White lives. Parts on order and she will be back. Good news I suppose and we will check everything over once they are done in hopes that it will be a perfect repair.

Well, my son just texted me as he called Progressive while driving to work. The Great White lives. Parts on order and she will be back. Good news I suppose and we will check everything over once they are done in hopes that it will be a perfect repair.
I hope its gonna be ok after the fix.

Back