GPS Tracking units / alarm

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
While I was out searching and researching some radar detectors I stumbled across this device.

http://www.radar-detectors.com/products/gps/gps-tracker.asp

Says you can mount it, track it via the web and even have it page you if your bike leaves its "GeoFence" area. Its $500 then there's the monthly 5-15/month service to actually track the bike. I'm definately gun shy since I've had a bike get gone in the past so something like this definately interests me but I'm a little leary of folks selling "snake oil" vs "kick anus" products.

Anyone seen/used or heard about this product? Is there enough interest to approach them for a group buy kinda deal?

Thoughts
cool.gif

Here's the pic of the device in case you were curious how big it is

bdm.com

bueller .... bueller .... anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this one?

Pretty cool...supposedly the size of a large pack of cigarettes and a 3 day back up power source.

My biggest concerns would be:

Experienced thiefs will typically toss the bike in a truck or van. If they have a van odds are you won't be able to ping the bike and they'll have found the device within the first few miles tossing it on the side of the road.

Odds are good that by the time you notice the bike missing it'll be in a garage and even if not disabled there won't be any way to pick up the satellite signal indoors.

If the manufacturer decides to call it quits you're stuck with an expensive yet useless device.

On the other hand it probably would work great against the typical dumb ass joy rider thief...that is, as long as it can keep updating you in real time. If you can only ping it once in a while you'll end up finding the bike only after the joyrider decides to abandon it.

Back