GPS tracking

lil charlie

Registered
What do you guys use for Theft recovery/tracking devices on your bike? I know you can use your phone but I don't want that, I want something like LoJack. Do you have to pay a monthly service fee with what you use?

I tried getting a stand alone unit that will text you the location. It sounds good, but so far I have not found a decent phone plan for it. Everything wants to include talk min, or have stuff that expires. No cheap low use plans for just texting. Well at least not with AT&T which has the best gsm coverage here. I may try one of the smaller phone companies. No good if you don't have cell signal, but hey, better than nothing.

no experience with the good ones.

The GPS is for Retribution :whistle:

the-punisher_00425993.jpg

Last edited:
check out t-Mobile, Verizon and look up "Cellular GPStracker" that uses SIM card. (its not a phone its a box that uses a cellular antenna)

Verizon uses CDMA and the GPS units I found (that were reasonable) all use GSM (I have one that uses GSM). AT&T uses GSM, but don't seem to have a decent plan (for less than $25 a month)
Also I found that now there are 2 or 3 different sim card types. I was thinking of just getting a pay as you go phone, and take the sim card out, but I don't know what type of card is in that phone!! (they typically don't say on the box) and really have no idea if it will work with the device.
And trying to get anyone on the phone or at a store that has a clue is about useless. If it is not their device they don't have a clue, and can't even answer specific technical questions.

My "Spot" tracker is a poor man's anti-theft device. At home it's not needed, but when I'm on the road, I just tuck it under the passenger seat. If the bike is stolen, I would go to my tracker page on the internet, and find the lucky bastards who will win a free shot of hot lead. :laugh:

Back