GPS mount, RAM setup, GIXERHP's idea

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
So I have had my GARMIN NUVI 200W on it factory stem and cradle stuck onto the top triple clamp via super velcro (the hard plastic kind) and it has held up fine but was not stable at speeds in the triples.  The ball and socket was too loose and I kept fearing loss of the unit.  

I had bought a RAM mount and cradle for it but they didn't listen and did not send me what I asked for when I placed the order, it came with the cradle, 2 ball mounts and no stem.

At Americade CYCLEGADGETS was there and I purchased two stems and some other stuff.

Back at home I was toying with how to mount the base to the bike and had decided that I would drill through the top triple clamp and bolt the sucker on.  GIXERHP says let me see the stuff and we'll come up with something.  He decides that the mount looks like it with match up to the bolts that actually hold the clamp.  He got me a new set, drilled and tapped the centers with 3mm allen heads and gave it all back to me.

Here it is:  I swapped the bolts and made a rubber bushing to help with the vibes.  The mount allows for all sorts of angles and with the stem lengths and heads they offer you could mount damn near anything and get the correct clearance for the tank and screen.  This is the long stem.  This setup came to about $50 with the HD cradle for the NUVI.

The parts

RAM1.jpg

Im wooking on three sizes now, stock, 3/4 risers, and 1&1/4 risers. I should have some avalible in a couple of weeks!

Back