GPS map updating!!!!!

I Love My Wife

Registered
Garmin wants $50 to update the maps of my Nuvi 205! Am I wrong or does that seem like highway robbery? I know I'm cheap but seriously $50!

Is there a reliable, legal alternative to Garmin's website for updates?

Negative ghostrider the pattern is full. Garmin has started selling GPS's that have the LM designation in the part number which stands for lifetime map updates. You pay upfront, but in the long run have more accurate maps and don't get pinched for every update.

There are reliable alternatives but maybe not entirely legal. Readily available in a lot of the same places most of us filled Ipods etc from.

first off, $50 is CHEAP compared to what they used to sell the updates for... like 30% or more of what it used to be to get them :banghead: secondly, make sure you buy the life time map update if its an option.

the reality of it, if its an inexpensive unit and you do not travel extensively, perhaps weighing the option of just buying a new inexpensive unit every 2-3 years would be better. Roads do not really get built that often that would change your route and with the technology updates that seem to come every so often it might just be cheaper to validate your route with google/mapquest prior to leaving and get the benefit of upgrading for the same outlay of cash.

I have had a 670 nuvi for a few years, so I get doubly bent over when I had to buy updates... one for US maps and one for EU maps. The bonus is that when I do go over to Europe I already have the GPS but its a racket either way you cut it.

Could be worse. You could have bought one of the many off brand GPS's for which you can't get an update. At least you can buy one for the Garmin.

for that price you can find a 265wt with LM and that is about 120 OTD, I only wished it had Mp3 player but, as it is it gets the job done, and the bluetooth works really great

i just use my phone:)

I considered using my phone, but I've not had the best results with the MQ app. I may look at buying a different GPS, a larger one than the Nuvi 205 I own. A larger screen would make it more useful when on the bike (hard to see that little screen when moving).

$50 isn't too bad. I would check if you can buy a lifetime update. I have the Tom Tom and it's $79.99 for a one time map update or $99.99 for four updates a year for the life of the unit. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the $100 update. It's really not that bad if you figure the deal you probably got on the thing at thanksgiving or christmas time. I know it sucks but it beats buying a new one!

What is worse is in order to use the "free" mapsource software that Garmin has, you have to purchase an update disc.

In order to get around this, I map a route in google maps, upload that to google earth, trace it out with route maker, save it as a .KML file, change the file to .GPX, upload it to the Garmin device, select my data in Garmin, then the route is available to use.

What a pain in the ass!

I'll never update again...I paid Garmin $75 for my last update just so I could see the new highways that were built two years earlier and not the first one was even updated...

For that price I'll purchase a new GPS next time~!~

I paid $90 for a lifetime update for a Nuvi 260. Thought about buying a newer model with LMT but for now, still cheaper to update vs. a unit that has ALL the features I want/need.

I'll never update again...I paid Garmin $75 for my last update just so I could see the new highways that were built two years earlier and not the first one was even updated...

For that price I'll purchase a new GPS next time~!~

Yep, be careful, as far as I know Garmin purchased updated data mid 2008, so what you buy now is already 3 years outdated.

OR.........

You can buy a paper map. :laugh:

:thumbsup: I always use new paper state maps to set up my trips on the GPS ! Put it in my Tank Bag Pouch (so I can see where I'am going at a glance) and have Never had any problems. Of course I only use my GPS for time to, time from, mph, mph average and waypoint destinations. I already know where and how I'am going to get there (or close to where I need to get) :laugh:

I got a new Garman nuvi 1350 4.3 screen from HSN.com with life time update for 139.00 right before Christmas. You might want to give them a look.

Back