• No I use standard shifting

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Whats GP Shifting?

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Salty

Registered
Hey everyone, I was curious as to how many of you Hayabusa owners run GP shifting on your Busa's vs the standard shift pattern...

I have set up all of my bikes for years with GP Shifting, having large feet I find it considerably better to shift gears tapping down than trying to get my big feet underneath the shifter...

Just was curious as to who else uses it...

I used to run it. I really liked it, but found myself really jamming second in (might be why i needed a rebuild after last year). But running 2 bike one with reverse shift and other standard was kinda a pain so i went back to the standard

no way.... with all the different bikes I ride with standard shifting.... I could see the bad things that would happen if I switched mine now.

My Harley Sportster has rearsets and GP shifiting. I'm fine on it, but it screws me up if I ride more than one bike, and usually the standard 1 down, 5 up wins out in my subconcious (one 3 up for the Sporty). The new Sportster XR1200 has exactly the linkage I need to get the shift to match standard, so rather than machining it myself (planned for years), I will probably buy the HD parts and convert it to a conventional pattern this summer.

I like the push button on the electric shifter myself, but my foot uses standard

I have it on my 1000, but not on my b-king

I ride standard on the street but my race bike is setup GP style.

Its a very easy mod to do...you simply loosen your shift linkage bolts right next to your shifter and turn it upside down, then you tighten the bolt back down and you have GP Shifting...Their are lots of threads on how to do this on other sites..Im not sure about here as I have not searched...

If that does not make enough sense to you, Ill make a how to install Moto GP shifting thread for you....

Thanks BUSAGO1979, I'm going to seriously look into this.

The trouble with GP shifting is not so much getting your upshift right, but accidently downshifting when you don't mean to because you're so used to the standard pattern.

When you're downshifting intentionally, you're off the throttle or modulating at low power to match engine speed. Upshifting you've just wound it out and are prepping to whack the throttle again. Very hard on the motor - and sometimes outright dangerous - when you accidentally downshift when you meant to upshift.

Both the Busa & 600RR are GP. My Wife's 600RR is standard so I have to pay attention if I ride hers.

The trouble with GP shifting is not so much getting your upshift right, but accidently downshifting when you don't mean to because you're so used to the standard pattern.

When you're downshifting intentionally, you're off the throttle or modulating at low power to match engine speed. Upshifting you've just wound it out and are prepping to whack the throttle again. Very hard on the motor - and sometimes outright dangerous - when you accidentally downshift when you meant to upshift.

I completely agree if you are not used to GP shifting..take a lot of time at low speeds getting used to it before ever riding hard...This is a very easy mistake to make when you are first getting used to GP shifting...

I do the opposite...Im so used to riding with GP Shifting I get on a standard bike and am all screwed up...I start in 2nd gear all the time by accident and then I down shift by accident trying to shift up...

CAUTION....
PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL RIDING UNTIL YOU GET USED TO GP SHIFTING IF YOU MAKE THE CHANGE...

CAUTION....
PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL RIDING UNTIL YOU GET USED TO GP SHIFTING IF YOU MAKE THE CHANGE...

This is great advice. If you're um....."crazy" enough to accidentally think you're up shifting during acceleration when you're actually dropping a gear on the busa and opening the throttle you could end up on your back before you know it. Definitely would lead to skid marks and I don't mean from the tire.... :banghead:

This is great advice. If you're um....."crazy" enough to accidentally think you're up shifting during acceleration when you're actually dropping a gear on the busa and opening the throttle you could end up on your back before you know it. Definitely would lead to skid marks and I don't mean from the tire.... :banghead:

If you watched the 200 race last week you may have seen a certain rider highside the heck out of his bike...Thats kind of what it could look like if you screwed this one up at high speeds....

If you watched the 200 race last week you may have seen a certain rider highside the heck out of his bike...Thats kind of what it could look like if you screwed this one up at high speeds....

I did see that and it sucked for Hayes. The Spanish rider, who's name has escaped me, had the same thing happen and he saved it.

I set my bike to this condition once on accident and man did it really confuse the crap out of me for a minute. Thought my bike was broken.:laugh:Never really thought about leaving it that way. Maybee I will try it intentionally.

What are the pros to doing this ? I know I have dragged my toes a few times and actually brought my foot completely off the peg once in a corner because I left my foot under. Is that the advantage.

Back