gp shift

jamesnismo

Registered
is switching to gp style shift possible on the busa? my previous bike was and i loved it. if it is anybody with a how to? thanks james

Should be about dead simple, simply reversing the front, mounting it opposite if you will... But if you haven't ridden reversed before I would prolly not do it... To easy to forget and drop into second gear while gassing it out of a corner... Bad JuJu.... But otherwise it would be fun to watch a thief try to make off with your ride...

Loosen the 10mm bolt on shift lobe (front part of shift rod). Slide the lobe out and flip it exactly 180 degrees (it is notched and easy to do). Slide it back on the shaft and tighten the bolt.

Done.

Took me about 47 seconds.

I love it... And, I won't go back on sport bikes. Reverse shift pattern rocks for cokking on the twisties!

BTW - be careful bro. It can bite REAL hard going into 2nd instead of 4th. The busa power brakes like you would NEVER believe! I almost ran myself over in my second week of riding this way. Bike power braked and threw me over windshield. I hit the gas and fell back into the saddle. And, I had a load of dung in my pants!

-Rip

ok.. I have so far seen only ONE guy here racing with that pattern (..and he 's strange too - to be mild about it.. ). Can someone explain the thinking behind this mod? ..except "GP bikes use it, so must be something good.."

I learn fast, and I 'm into twisties too.. so I would be interested to know HOW this helps going faster in bends.. Can't think of anything - but to be honest I haven't asked around yet also..

ok..    I have so far seen only ONE guy here racing with that pattern (..and he 's strange too - to be mild about it.. ).    Can someone explain the thinking behind this mod?    ..except "GP bikes use it, so must be something good.."

I learn fast, and I 'm into twisties too..   so I would be interested to know HOW this helps going faster in bends..   Can't think of anything  - but to be honest I haven't asked around yet also..
Strange?? I guess I have been called worse...

Anyway, I have been doing it for a season and it ROCKS. Especially at the track.

It is WAY easier to upshift by just tapping down with your foot instead of sticking the boot under the shift knob thingy and tuggin up on it. When you are are leaned and hanging off (either side) it is way easier to tap it into the next gear.

Also, for wheelies, it is unbelievable how easy it is to upshift by tapping it (see above comments).

Anyway, this is definately a preference thing... But, almost ALL of the professionals (except the ones with fused ankles and sh!t) use the reverse shift pattern. This should tell you something.

And, at the track you will find many peeps running GP.

I should mention: NEVER forget to tell friends that are riding your bike about this gear shift pattern change. It is a life-and-death thing to mention! I have a little sticker on my triple tree that says, "GP" just to let the bike shop know.

Enjoy,
Rip

oracle,
thanks for the mini how-to. just finished it and it is awesome. had to adjust it once, so the shift lever was a little lower.... other than that it was cake. for the first 15 minutes, was a little weird but after i got used to it, sweet. so much easier to upshift....less effort. anybody who wants a full how to with pics let me know and i'll post it.
thanks all,
james

beerchug.gif

Back