Got Tagged

MinnesotaGuy

Registered
Okay, so I got my first "Busa" speeding ticket Friday. Some guy who probably just didn't like motorcycles was playing tag with me on my commute into work. It was early, like 4:15 AM. I was traveling along a two lane county road with no passing for about eight miles. I'd slow down, he'd slow down; I'd speed up, he'd speed up. When I finally get to the freeway, they guy rides my ass even though I'm in the right lane, giving him plenty of time and room to pass me. Nope; he just stays on my tail. Tired of the game, I pin it to get away and to make a point - not realizing Wisconsin's finest is hiding in the shadows.

Trooper: Do you know how fast you were going?

MinnesotaGuy: Yeah, pretty quick.

Trooper: Pretty Quick? Are you kidding me?

MinnesotaGuy: Well I was trying to get away from that guy tailing me, he was being kind of a prick.

Trooper: Yeah, I saw that. Let me see your driver's license and insurance.

... Five minutes later

Trooper: I tagged you for doing 90 in a 70 mph zone.

MinnesotaGuy: THANK YOU (He and I BOTH knew damn well he was being very generous with the speed. There is no way I was only going 90 when I decided to pull away front the sugar toying with me).

Sadly the ticket is going to cost me just under 300 clams - Wisconsin doesn't f--- around when it comes to setting speeding fines. I think if I go to court and plead guilty with an explanation they may take 5-10 mph off the ticket saving me some money and points on my license. They usually take a few mph off just for showing up in court because they don't want to deal with you and to save some time. Showing up for court is optional when 20 mph or less over the limit. Over 20 mph and it's a mandatory court date and they can pull your license. The trooper did me a solid by keeping my official speed to only 90 mph.

That sucks ,

Sorry for your troubles.....

6 riding tips about being tailgated from motorcyclist magazine.

1. Check your speed. If people regularly tailgate you then maybe you aren’t maintaining the expected speed of surrounding traffic. While you should avoid riding faster than you are comfortable, riding too slowly could increase the risk of being tailgated if traffic is moving significantly faster than you are. If this is the case, you may need to find an alternative route where the pace is more to your liking.

2. Let them by. If it becomes apparent that the driver is not going to back off, then find a safe place to pull over. This is often easier said than done, but why let a tailgater ruin your ride if you can let them pass? Be sure to signal early and slow gradually. Then watch as they zoom by to tailgate the next vehicle ahead.

3. Increase your following distance. A common response to a tailgater is to speed up to try and get away from the tailgater’s bumper. But, this usually results in the tailgater also increasing speed. Instead, slow down. No, not to piss off the tailgater, but to gain a space cushion ahead of you. This allows you (and the tailgater) ample time and space to slow if necessary. A minimum of 3 seconds should do the trick.

4. Communicate intentions early. Most motorcycle brake lights don’t command a lot of visual attention. But you can increase its effectiveness by flashing it two or three times before actually reducing speed. Also, be sure to activate turn signals at least 4 seconds before slowing to give drivers behind you plenty of notice.

5. Use smart lane positioning. To prevent a close call from a tailgater it’s important to choose a lane position that allows you the best angle of view past the vehicle ahead so you can spot problems early and slow gradually. When stopping at a traffic light or stop sign, keep an eye on your mirrors and flash your brake light. Also, place yourself in the right or left-hand portion of your lane to give the driver behind an escape if he can’t stop in time.

6. Stay cool. This may be the most crucial. Even though tailgaters can get under our skin, smart riders don’t let this bad behavior affect their judgment. Instead, they initiate strategies that prevent these bozos from decreasing safety and enjoyment

Uh, thanks TIMMYDUCK, but I wasn't looking for riding tips. I was sharing a story. And there's no need to be sorry, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. This bike is by far the most fun I've had on two wheels. I expect a few speeding tickets here and there. The great thing about Wisconsin is the tickets only stay on your record for one year.

Sometimes you just have to get the hell away from cagers and their stupidity. Me personally i think you handled it great, and think mr officer also was decent. Here in iowa though 20 over get you jail immediately and your license gone for at least 6 months. No clue how i know this though.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. Be careful out there. Not all cops are going to be as nice, especially if they see that you have already been cought/ticketed speeding before. Do they allow to go to "school" and take the stupid little driving class to knock the points of your license? In Florida, you are allowed to do it at least once (maybe more, not sure).

1 year sounds like you got lucky, in the UK it stays with you for 5 years over 100 instant ban ,then you will never get insurance again on a high power bike/car , anyway you got away with it, good luck to you keep safe

Yeah that was a solid break you got. Pay the fine, and shake an officers hand next time you have the chance to. Let them know we are good guys and do appreciate them.

You would do them and yourself an injustice to go to court and try and get out of it. You knew you were speeding. You know you got a break. Pay your fun tax and ride on.

The Trooper should have done his job and cited the 4000 lb. cage for following too close and fuking with u so I really don't see the trooper doing u a solid at all. It was more EXCITING to chase the bike and see if he was gonna run or not but the danger on the road was the car not the bike so apparently he needs to go back for some re-training....:boohoo:

The trooper did me a solid by keeping my official speed to only 90 mph.

Back