205 MPH Ticket.

The Oracle

Registered
Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket
Associated Press
Published Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license _ and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Oops... I just noticed that SageRonin already beat me to this one... Sorry for the duplicate post.

Original post here:

I wanna know what kind of mods were done to a 1000 that wiil make it go 205mph...
rock.gif
And I don't even wanna think about wrecking at that speed...
AAAssjani.gif
grim.gif
firedevil.gif

I was just getting ready to post this myself..... I'll tell you what though , if Honda is producing a 1000 that a 20 yr old kid can afford to modify to do 205 then Suzuki better have some serious mods on the 06 busa..... Cause the competition is starting to catch up. While the beloved busa may be the fastest production motorcycle if a 1000 can be modified to surpass it then it should be a wake up call
sad.gif

And yeah i'm still disappointed that there were o serious mods on the busa this year

I am not saying this guy was not speeding but I am really unsure how accurate a guy can be with a stopwatch looking at road markers from an airplane when someone is going 150+. At 75-90 mph it would not be too difficult to get a fairly accurate reading but at speeds close to 200 I don’t think they could tell the difference between 180 and 220. If they were .05 seconds off pushing the button at 200 would read +/- 5-10 mph and on most people the thumb just does not work that fast.

If I were that guy I would put all my stock parts back on the bike, have an expert say it was impossible for this bike to go that fast and then tell the judge that the airplane could not accurately tell how fast I was going at high speeds.

There is a chance that he would be able to get it dropped depending on the state if he could prove any inaccuracy in their ability to clock this speed.

I think if he was on a busa there would be no chance!

If true, shouldn't that be a world record for SPEEDING TICKET?
I don't care what the hell the kid was riding, it could've been a Vespa for that matter
race.gif
If he acheived 205 mph... I SALUTE YOU
super.gif
!!! Hopefully, when you get out of jail you can tell us what did the face of God / Buddah, Allah, etc... look like. And did time slow down 3 seconds or 5 seconds for you?

actually Ben Spies went down at daytona while testing tires.. i think the article said at 180 or 190.. he lost some of his ass but was pretty much ok.. yeah i know it was the track and he had leathers on.. still though

Back