So I received a speeding ticket

Florida Highway Patrol Policy Manual 17.05.02 (REVISION DATE 05/16/13) states the following:

POLICY
Emergency responses and vehicular pursuit of fleeing suspects present a danger to the public, officers and suspects involved in the pursuit. It is the policy of this Division to protect all persons' lives and property to the extent possible when enforcing the law. In addition, it is the responsibility of the Division to assist members in the safe performance of their duties. To affect or to carry out these obligations, it shall be the policy of the Division to regulate the manner in which emergency response and vehicular
pursuit are undertaken and performed.

This policy establishes specific guidelines for pursuit driving that will contribute to public safety and facilitate apprehension of criminal offenders.

Members are authorized to pursue suspects whom they reasonably believe have committed:

•a felony offense;
• a violation of section 316.192(reckless driving);
•a violation of section316.193(DUI).

Each decision must be based upon the conditions and circumstances existing at the time and by the training and guidelines set forth by the agency.

ALL OTHER PURSUITS ARE PROHIBITED.

NOTE:pursuit of motorcycles is restricted to forcible felonies.

Look up forcible felonies if you are confused to that term.

These ain't fabricated policies. It is the ones written by LEO and currently in use.

Soooooo if you're doing stupid speeds, which I never support anyone doing, you may as well try and haul ass home and park it for a few weeks. Or you can stop and have a world of legal to deal with.

Just because it's policy doesn't make it right or for that matter make it a good idea. So many other factors to consider...like say, rider ability and use of good judgement. Both comprimised at the point of deciding to run/ avoid and elude.
But knowing your MO here you will have some explanation justifying it to make yourself appear right. Which is one of the best things about our country, you want to be an a-hole when out riding or in life in general...that's completely your prerogative.

Just because it's policy doesn't make it right or for that matter make it a good idea. So many other factors to consider...like say, rider ability and use of good judgement. Both comprimised at the point of deciding to run/ avoid and elude.
But knowing your MO here you will have some explanation justifying it to make yourself appear right. Which is one of the best things about our country, you want to be an a-hole when out riding or in life in general...that's completely your prerogative.

So you don't agree with LEO policy? That is your prerogative. You just disparaged LEO yourself. They write policy for a reason. I never at any time suggested that doing 167 was a wise choice. But 167 was his prerogative to do. The bike he was on is capable of doing this for hours safely. His skills were adequate. The road he chose was safe and adequate. So if someone is going to make that choice, I prefer they do that under those circumstances. He just never expected the Cop to be there. Say what you want. He made his choice. He paid the price. Has nothing to do with any choices you nor I made.

And you can call me anything you like. Won't make bit of difference in my day or my life. I have 0 tickets, 0 arrest and 0 points on my driving record. You have no idea how I ride.

If you don't like LEO policy, biotch to who makes policy.

So you don't agree with LEO policy? That is your prerogative. You just disparaged LEO yourself. They write policy for a reason. I never at any time suggested that doing 167 was a wise choice. But 167 was his prerogative to do. The bike he was on is capable of doing this for hours safely. His skills were adequate. The road he chose was safe and adequate. So if someone is going to make that choice, I prefer they do that under those circumstances. He just never expected the Cop to be there. Say what you want. He made his choice. He paid the price. Has nothing to do with any choices you nor I made.

And you can call me anything you like. Won't make bit of difference in my day or my life. I have 0 tickets, 0 arrest and 0 points on my driving record. You have no idea how I ride.

If you don't like LEO policy, biotch to who makes policy.

Lets set the record straight, I'm all for the policy, I think it was written to actually save innocent lives/property. What I don't like is people exploiting it for their own personal gain...such as the advice you offer or suggest. I'm happy for you and your spotless record and I could actually give a flying rat's azz how you ride.

Lets set the record straight, I'm all for the policy, I think it was written to actually save innocent lives/property. What I don't like is people exploiting it for their own personal gain...such as the advice you offer or suggest. I'm happy for you and your spotless record and I could actually give a flying rat's azz how you ride.

Then you shouldn't discuss or imply how I ride since you don't know nor care.

To the advice given. He had already made the choice to do 167. Stopping ensured he was going to have a BIG price to pay. And he did. Had he not stopped, what difference would he had gotten for charges? He was still doing 167. They could try to pile on extra charges but an attorney would have capitalized on the fact that they broke policy and gave chase. An attorney would have used that in court to his favor, putting the cops on trial at that point. Played right into a defense attorneys hands.

Cops exploit. Attorneys exploit. Spread your distaste fairly among them as well.

A) Doing 167 is a choice he and some of us make from time to time. Our motorcycles are totally safe for these speeds.
B) If we make that choice, we can try and do so with a reasonable amount of common sense and intelligence. In this case, he was in a place that it would have been a good place to do it. He had been cruising at speeds higher than 167 for about 10 minutes at the time that he got discovered. There was NO QUESTION and he never attempted to say he wasn't doing it. He was in fact slowing down from higher numbers as he was approaching civilization soon.
C) Despite that, the risk of a cop, even though the risk was low, caught up to him.
D) He made the choice to stop. There was a chance they could have cut him a break. They did not! And he ended up losing his bike, endorsement etc.
E) In this particular event and circumstance, he was less than 5 miles from an opportunity to go any of 6 directions. They would have had no license plate, a poor description. At best the cop may had been able to say it was a Blue bike, (or was it silver). By the time the cop could call it in and get resources configured, he would have already been in regular traffic with 6,000 vehicles to blend in with. In this particular instance, it would not have turned out no worse had he kept going and in fact could have turned out much better.
F) He could have guaranteed he had a better day had he NOT done 167.

Think I told this story before, but here it is again.

Good friend of mine was LEO in Arkansas, we use to bike together, told not to pursue high speed motorcycles, try get the tag and let them go.

Sits in his car under bridge, crotch rocket comes flying past way over 120mph.

Chases, puts on his lights, bike decides to haul ass.

He chases, off highway, country roads, starts catching the bike in the twisties.

Bike goes hot into a corner, off the road into a field dust and stuff flying all over the place.

LEO pulls up, biker gets of the ground grass and dirt all over his suit.

LEO: "You OK?"

Biker: "Sorry, but I think I am OK, what happens now?"

LEO: "OK, well see ya!" and drives off.

I'd be good with that outcome :laugh:

Wow look what I started, Ok in florida If I am found guilty,4 points on the DL raised insurance rates is the worse thing besides the fine. Max is $500 including court cost. I played, I will pay. No way to beat it with out spending 500 to 800 on an outcome that would be the same.

Wow look what I started, Ok in florida If I am found guilty,4 points on the DL raised insurance rates is the worse thing besides the fine. Max is $500 including court cost. I played, I will pay. No way to beat it with out spending 500 to 800 on an outcome that would be the same.

Welcome to the world of stupidly fast without effort motorcycles.

Although I am a law student, I employed this advice before I ever went to law school, and my education has only reinforced these theories.

Back