Got stopped on Sunday

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Here's the difference in being polite and respectful to the police vs. being a wiseass..

Going thru small town on the way to the dropzone, Driving not riding, and armed. No traffic, talking to Tiller on cell.

See the blue lights, pull right over, shut off car, turn on emergency signals, roll down window, wallet in hand, hands on steering wheel.

Me: "Good morning officer" in my friendly voice. SMILE.
Officer: "Do you know why I stopped you?"
Me: "No sir"
Officer: "Back there by the school I clocked you doing 49 in a 30 MPH zone"
Me: "Oops; I was on my phone and I didn't even see it officer, I guess I should have been paying better attention"
Officer: "May I see your license please"
Me: "Certainly". Hand over licence and CCW permit at same time "And, yes officer, I AM (armed)" With hands on wheel.
Officer: "Do you have your gun on you?"
Me: "In my pocket Officer"

Officer scans license. He already ran my plate (military) before he came to the car. Comes back clean.

Officer: "Sir, please slow it down a little"
Me: "Yes officer, thank you very much."
Officer hands back license, "Have a good day sir"
Me: "You too officer"

Over time, I have cultivated the right attitude and conversation to avoid/mitigate a large portion of law enforcement scruitiny. If he had written me a ticket, it would have been my fault and accepted it.

+1

I haven't had a ticket in 20 years, but like you, I also have the right attitude and don't do anything to make the situation worse for me.

How fast where you really going? That would be hard to talk out of.

I also was very nice. Officer pulls me and my friend over but approaches me 1st. Made a remark such as "you seem to be in quite the hurry" to which I replied, its a beautiful day, the birds are singing, there is no traffic, and I am just cruisin. At no time did I admit I was speeding. Anyways he tells me he followed us and we were doing 85 and that he can only overlook 15 over but he would cut me a break. Since he is a Federal Officer, a ticket for exceeding the maximum speed would cost $75 and would go away once it was paid. He also went on to tell me that his son races a 750 with NESBA:laugh: Very cool guy, I was polite and so was he.

He would have never caught the 'Busa............js
I'll bet you were on a Guxxer or sumthin.
Had he already not been riding my buddy's ass and knew that we were together, you are right. However I think the repercussion would have been much worse for my friend had I chosen to do so.

Here's the difference in being polite and respectful to the police vs. being a wiseass..

Going thru small town on the way to the dropzone, Driving not riding, and armed. No traffic, talking to Tiller on cell.

See the blue lights, pull right over, shut off car, turn on emergency signals, roll down window, wallet in hand, hands on steering wheel.

Me: "Good morning officer" in my friendly voice. SMILE.
Officer: "Do you know why I stopped you?"
Me: "No sir"
Officer: "Back there by the school I clocked you doing 49 in a 30 MPH zone"
Me: "Oops; I was on my phone and I didn't even see it officer, I guess I should have been paying better attention"
Officer: "May I see your license please"
Me: "Certainly". Hand over licence and CCW permit at same time "And, yes officer, I AM (armed)" With hands on wheel.
Officer: "Do you have your gun on you?"
Me: "In my pocket Officer"

Officer scans license. He already ran my plate (military) before he came to the car. Comes back clean.

Officer: "Sir, please slow it down a little"
Me: "Yes officer, thank you very much."
Officer hands back license, "Have a good day sir"
Me: "You too officer"

Over time, I have cultivated the right attitude and conversation to avoid/mitigate a large portion of law enforcement scruitiny. If he had written me a ticket, it would have been my fault and accepted it.

This is the part of the conversation I got:
"blah, blah, cant remember, I think I just got a ticket...Yea I just did, I'll have to call you back. Bye" :laugh: :poke:

John, this morning about 11, I passed the Mexican Rest that we ate at that Sunday, and there were a few bikes. Orange Gen II with a bald headed guy beside it, but he looked to short to be you.
Wonder if it was anyone from the board?

Keith I agree a good attitude and politeness go along way with law enforcement.

A couple of years ago I was spotted and clocked doing well over double the speed limit (55) and passing on a double yellow. Neither of which were smart moves on my part. But as I pulled back in line I noticed the car that was coming at me was an unmarked squad. I look in the mirrors and see his brake lights and the cloud of dust as he turns around through the shoulder. I turn left at the next intersection and pull over. remove my helmet, get my license out and await his arrival. When he came a round the corner he pulled up next to me and we chatted I told him I had a lack of good judgment and tried to hand him my DL. He never took it or even looked at it. He told me to slow it down and ride safe. And then asked why I pulled over and waited for him. I was very polite and respectful the whole time and he let me go with a verbal.

Yes attitude and respect earn the same in return

I was riding up that way Saturday until the rain started, but here's something one of the other guys stated to the group when someone joked about running. Not me he said, I've seen to many busted heads ( meaning wrecks ) over a $200 ticket, my life's worth more than $200.

Did you have a helmet cam :laugh:

I was riding up that way Saturday until the rain started, but here's something one of the other guys stated to the group when someone joked about running. Not me he said, I've seen to many busted heads ( meaning wrecks ) over a $200 ticket, my life's worth more than $200.

Did you have a helmet cam :laugh:
No cam. I was even wearing shorts and a t-shirt........You know, my normal Dragon slaying attire.

Look at you, SPEED DEMON! :laugh:

I have been pulled over 8 times, twice on my bike. I have been ticketed ZERO times to this day. I call it an art form. 2 have been while in the military so if you think I got out because of my ID, only twice :laugh:. It is all about being polite, honest, and telling them what they want to hear.

Reasons randing from speeding 15+ a few times to I don't even remember why on the others. Most are speeding, probably 6 out of 8.

Look at you, SPEED DEMON! :laugh:

I have been pulled over 8 times, twice on my bike. I have been ticketed ZERO times to this day. I call it an art form.
He had a new guy with him, since he pursued, I think he had to write us on something.

This is a stoopid thread.. You should have done wheelies in front of him while you were getting pulled over. Then after he stops you, have someone come and pick you up during the traffic stop.

You guys are a bunch of Sally's... Unreal.

If you were in a car/truck, you should have thrown it in reverse and slammed into that piece of crap cop. You know he had it coming. For harassing you like that.. :banghead:

I wouldn't have even stopped. You know they'll just arrest you and take you to jail for no reason at all. It's horrible out there... :whistle:

:laugh:

This is a stoopid thread.. You should have done wheelies in front of him while you were getting pulled over. Then after he stops you, have someone come and pick you up during the traffic stop.

You guys are a bunch of Sally's... Unreal.

If you were in a car/truck, you should have thrown it in reverse and slammed into that piece of crap cop. You know he had it coming. For harassing you like that.. :banghead:

I wouldn't have even stopped. You know they'll just arrest you and take you to jail for no reason at all. It's horrible out there... :whistle:

:laugh:

Or they will beat you mercilessly...

Back