Got my new Radiator and Forks

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So I picked up an almost mint radiator and some ok forks off psycho bike classifieds for 260 shipped.

Radiator is in awesome condition except for its dirty.
Forks are not too bad. Definitely straight and can be fixed up to good looking. Only concern about the forks is black marks that are on the anodized shaft. Cant complain because i still picked them up dirt cheap. Best radiator on ebay was 240 shipped and had a number of fins bent whereas this one will be near perfect once I clean it up a bit :thumbsup:

The marks are in the 3rd 4th and 5th pics. The marks are towards the top. my reflection is in them but if you look close you can see the marks. May come off with a little cleaning but I just opened the box to inspect them and haven't cleaned them yet. Tell me what you guys think about the forks :thumbsup:
Parts for both Gens can be found cheap on there as all the drag guys on psychobike tend to replace lots of parts with aftermarket or otherwise :beerchug:

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

Good stuff. You having the lowers powder coated?
are you talking about the caliper brackets? The ones I have on my bike now are black so I will probably just use those. I might have it powdercoated to match my calipers though. Its in the planning stages :laugh: Cause Im going to have these forks rebuilt with better springs and valves

I have a gen 1 .95 springs and gold valve set I'll sell if that's what you need..

If the marks do not come out and it is worn into the coating on the forks then that means they nedd guides and bushing's

If the marks do not come out and it is worn into the coating on the forks then that means they nedd guides and bushing's

So I could probably just use those from my current forks then? Doesnt look like they will come off

So I could probably just use those from my current forks then? Doesnt look like they will come off

No, they're pressed in and also worn to that set of forks, and it's not worth swapping them to the other forks. If the forks on your bike are good, just put the springs and valves in those. Both are removed when replacing seals anyway. The whole swap can be done in a few hours.

No, they're pressed in, and it's not worth swapping them to other forks. If the forks on your bike are good, just put the springs and valves in those. Both are removed when replacing seals anyway. The whole swap can be done in a few hours.

Ah damn. I was looking to replace my gold forks with silver ones... I ended up paying next to nothing for the forks considering the value of the radiator so I will probably still make money on them. Hell, bent forks are going for about 100 on ebay anyway. Guess these will get put on ebay soon

Ah damn. I was looking to replace my gold forks with silver ones... I ended up paying next to nothing for the forks considering the value of the radiator so I will probably still make money on them. Hell, bent forks are going for about 100 on ebay anyway. Guess these will get put on ebay soon

Replace the guides and bushings in the ones you bought then, and sell yours when you're done(which was your plan anyway right? Just a few more dollars to spend)

Replace the guides and bushings in the ones you bought then, and sell yours when you're done(which was your plan anyway right? Just a few more dollars to spend)

Ok that may be my option. The black marks on the forks, will they affect anything? Could the tube be turned upside down to hide the marks?

Ok that may be my option. The black marks on the forks, will they affect anything? Could the tube be turned upside down to hide the marks?

The tube can't be flipped, and the marks are because the fork is no longer going in and out of the upper tube straight; hence the bad guides and bushings. The marks shouldn't affect anything.:beerchug:

The tube can't be flipped, and the marks are because the fork is no longer going in and out of the upper tube straight; hence the bad guides and bushings. The marks shouldn't affect anything.:beerchug:

hmmm ok. They are big marks so I may be able to just turn them when I mount them so they arent visible... Who knows. Its going to bother me knowing they are there now...

hmmm ok. They are big marks so I may be able to just turn them when I mount them so they arent visible... Who knows. Its going to bother me knowing they are there now...

You can't turn them either. Even though the lower tube will turn in the upper. the axle/brake mounting point is fixed to the bottom of the lower tube.

You can't turn them either. Even though the lower tube will turn in the upper. the axle/brake mounting point is fixed to the bottom of the lower tube.

I thought you could take off the brake mounting brackets? I figured loosen them up and turn it around ???. Oh well I have time to decide what I am going to. The marks, though small, bother me because they are there :laugh:

I thought you could take off the brake mounting brackets? I figured loosen them up and turn it around ???. Oh well I have time to decide what I am going to. The marks, though small, bother me because they are there :laugh:

I won't say it can't be done, but the brake/axle mount is pressed on to the lower tube. Not something "I" personally would want to fool with for concerns of damaging the lower tube. Reinstalling it would be simple, it's the removal that would bother me.

I won't say it can't be done, but the brake/axle mount is pressed on to the lower tube. Not something "I" personally would want to fool with for concerns of damaging the lower tube. Reinstalling it would be simple, it's the removal that would bother me.

Hmmmm... Yeah maybe not. I found a set on ebay I like so I think Im going to buy those and sell mine around the same price to break even...

Do you has any issue when mounting the Gen 2 radiator?? how do you go about with the fan switch??

Thanks in advance.

Back