Got good Samaritan?

Lamb busa

50 warming to 70 again
Donating Member
Registered
Yahoo!

This video from Yahoo news just has me thinking. Have you been a good samaritan and been screwed for doing so? Just wondering. Lamb has not had the chance to be in the right place at the right time except for the occasional jumper cable or ice scraper help. Never been screwed because of it. Being a lil late to an appointment doesn't count.

It's a crazy world, Lamb.

We should discuss this since we're riding together...would you help me? Would I help you?

As I see it, they're good things to discuss before hitting the road.

:beerchug:

Let's talk.

:whistle:

1. pulled a woman out of a flipped over suv on rt83 and north ave. she was 8 months pregnant. saw the accident, stop lights where out truck went through hit the back of her car it flipped and she was upside down, had her undo her belt, pulled her out of the car, car smoking. she was ok i think she was wearing a cook county sheriffs jacket.

2. car rear ended another and pushed it into the back of a semi so one car was under the other car and both hit the truck. turned off the car underneath and put it in park moved a little...scared the crap out of me. the reason the other guy was rear ended was the the other driver had a major heart attack agonal breathing i know this because i'm a respiratory therapist and will be a nurse in 5 months. BLS & ACLS certified anyway didn't give him mouth to mouth he was really gross looking sorry didn't have a mask...but we were across the street from a fire house here in chicago. he probably made it...weird trying to arouse the guy while you look out the window and see the bottom of the other car...

The wife and I stopped a few days ago, I already told you Scar :moon:, after seeing a car in the middle of the road with it's four ways on during a snow storm.

None of the three people in the car spoke english so it was tough to figure out what was going on. The only thing we could get out of them was "she sick", "heart" and "we take hospital". Since we decided rushing to the hospital in a snow storm was bad we said no.

Busawife (who saved the day and won't admit it) checked her pulse and breathing and relayed everything needed to the 911 operator. With a quick response time they took her off.

We don't know what the results were, but I believe busawife may have saved a women from diabetic shock or a possible heart condition. :thumbsup:

:cheerleader: busawife :cheerleader:

I didn't save her life. I just called 911. They did all the amazing stuff. It is important to note that Christine is the one who takes all the credit all the time. "I helpded the cops," is all she would say for a day or so afterward. Anyhoo, we did have some help. While I was collecting information and keeping my CPR shield ready to go, I had three helpers. Jefferycarman flagged down the fire truck (and kept Christine calm), and then two other people stopped and helped calm down her friends and kept the woman awake and somewhat responsive.

This isn't the first time for me. In the last 5 years, I have been involved in 3 different incidents where I had to call 911 and assist in first aid.

Great stories!

Keep em coming.

What Lamb is really asking is, would you hesitate to help in a tricky situation or dangerous one because of a risk to your life? Would you fail to help because of possible litigation, either implied, or real? This really has Lamb thinking. Glad, personally that this hasn't come up in his life, but life turns on a dime and sorting this out will help him put his mind straight when/if it ever happens. Years ago, one wouldn't have to finish the question and Lamb would answer in the affirmative. However, years have taken a toll on his soul. Other than those individuals which Lamb has a personal relationship with, Lamb is struggling with this question. Don't get him wrong, if he knows you, you can use his last pair of shoes. If he doesn't, you will be lucky to get the time of day. Sad words but true. Know thy self. Damn, this thread is really making ME think!

Let's hear from you!

Last edited:
It should not even be a question. Thanks to our current law situation, it PAYS to leave people alone and maybe let them die? No one can predict the future.

She should be calling that guy everyday for the rest of her life thanking him for saving her and bringing her back to her family. She COULD HAVE DIED in that car. She and he didn't know.

I didn't save her life. I just called 911. They did all the amazing stuff. It is important to note that Christine is the one who takes all the credit all the time. "I helpded the cops," is all she would say for a day or so afterward. Anyhoo, we did have some help. While I was collecting information and keeping my CPR shield ready to go, I had three helpers. Jefferycarman flagged down the fire truck (and kept Christine calm), and then two other people stopped and helped calm down her friends and kept the woman awake and somewhat responsive.

This isn't the first time for me. In the last 5 years, I have been involved in 3 different incidents where I had to call 911 and assist in first aid.

:bowdown: The Jeffrey Carman Family

You folks make a great team. :thumbsup:

It should not even be a question. Thanks to our current law situation, it PAYS to leave people alone and maybe let them die? No one can predict the future.

She should be calling that guy everyday for the rest of her life thanking him for saving her and bringing her back to her family. She COULD HAVE DIED in that car. She and he didn't know.

You are right, it shouldn't be a question. But it is, isn't it?

I guess I saved a girl's dog the other day. It was a cold, and snowy morning. I was scraping my car off and noticed a neighbor's dog running around unattended. I glanced over at her apartment and the front door was wide open. After coaxing the puppy to come to me, I shuttled it inside and stuck my head in and shouted, "Yo! Hello! Anyone still in here?" Her car was gone and it was past the time she usually leaves in the morning [ok, stalking only just a LITTLE] so I pulled the door closed. Later I called the apartment complex to get them to go lock it - inside lock.

She has no idea who saved her puppy. And I am glad, because I probably would have been sued for B&E

In answer to your actual question Lamb

Yes... I do hesitate at times. Usually only for a second though. If someone wants to sue me for saving them they have other issues. I guess I will continue to run that risk for now. It does sadden me to think that it could come to that.

I offered to my local fellow riders in the PNW to give them a ride in the nasty weather if they needed any neccesities. I was call a F'n racists because I wouldn't take someone to get beer.

That was the last straw for me on pnwriders. I'm done with their childish BS. I'll stay here where helping others is considered a good act.

Wait! Aren't there "laws" that you HAVE TO help people, also? That is totally self defeating! you get sued if you DON'T help, but get sued if you do? no no no no no. Doesn't anyone think this is WRONG? Why doesn't somebody say something?

Well I have mentioned this one before in another thread but will throw it out again. I did save a kitten on Father's day of this year. My wife is a 911 dispatcher for another local police dept. She took the call from a lady that had a kitten that's head was stuck in a piece of concrete culvert. She called 911 for help, local PD said it wasn't their job they didn't have time. Fire Dept said they don't do animal rescues. Animal warden wouldn't even respond to help. Wife called me, I went and assessed the situation, called a couple buddies from a different volunteer fire dept. Took some precision work with drill and concrete bit as well as hammer and chisel but after about two hours we had the kitten out unharmed.

I took tons of heat from the guys at work as it made front page news in the local paper. As I told them, it's the little things that make the difference to people.

New link: Mt. Vernon Register-News - Rescuers come to kitten’s aid

When it comes to helping people, I believe in doing the right thing. I'd much rather take the risk of lawsuit vs having to live with the fact I could have made a difference but chose not to.

Yahoo!

This video from Yahoo news just has me thinking. Have you been a good samaritan and been screwed for doing so? Just wondering. Lamb has not had the chance to be in the right place at the right time except for the occasional jumper cable or ice scraper help. Never been screwed because of it. Being a lil late to an appointment doesn't count.

YES

pulled bro. in law out of ditch. Got in other ditch in process. No biggie with 4x4 except while going back and forth to get out he kept getting im my way with his car. I ended up sideswiping a pole cable trying to avoid his stupid butt. 5k bucks later not even an apolagy:banghead:

This story is out of a friggin' cartoon. Specifically, "The Incredibles."

I probably wouldn't give CPR to someone because of fear of disease. Too many weird bugs out there these days.

I would probably not hesitate to drag someone from a burning car. That's just a foregone conclusion.

Damn glad I moved from CA, that's all I can say.

--Wag--

Great stories!

Keep em coming.

What Lamb is really asking is, would you hesitate to help in a tricky situation or dangerous one because of a risk to your life? Would you fail to help because of possible litigation, either implied, or real? This really has Lamb thinking. Glad, personally that this hasn't come up in his life, but life turns on a dime and sorting this out will help him put his mind straight when/if it ever happens. Years ago, one wouldn't have to finish the question and Lamb would answer in the affirmative. However, years have taken a toll on his soul. Other than those individuals which Lamb has a personal relationship with, Lamb is struggling with this question. Don't get him wrong, if he knows you, you can use his last pair of shoes. If he doesn't, you will be lucky to get the time of day. Sad words but true. Know thy self. Damn, this thread is really making ME think!

Let's hear from you!

It's a sign of positive change when you actually are stopping to think of your own well-being and feelings in a matter of choice. Too many times we extend ourselves without consideration, or make ourselves available and regret it later........ You're growing and maturing...enjoy it. :super:

Life teaches us many different lessons....one is simply out of movie for me...."A man's gotta know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood), and in life, limitations come whether we are ready for them or not......Be at peace Brother ! You're not falling into a narcissistic, self-centered realm without the light of day to shine in on you. Trust me, already been there and still have some ego / pride dysfunctional leftovers......you're just changing your criterium for what The Lamb will do for others, and what The Lamb will have to stop and think about.

If a dog ran into the street, and a large semi was coming, would you run right out there to get him ????.....maybe, maybe not. If a small infant did the same, what would be your reaction ????. The Spud trusts his instincts at times like the latter. The prior ???.....maybe, maybe not.

Many times around Vegas, especially at night, we have breakdowns on the freeway. I used to stop for "all" of them. Now I look to see what the genders are. Young men, or teenagers, no. Female, alone, maybe.....elderly female alone....definitely. You're growing Brother !! Keep up the good work !! :thumbsup:

She may have a case if she did tell him to leave her in the car. You have to ask first. Sir/Ma'am, can I help you? If they say no, leave em be. If they say yes, do what you can. However, in Oklahoma, if they are unconscious, the law is that assistance consent is implied.

There was an off duty fireman who stopped to help a young man who had just had an accident here in st louis and the young man shot and killed the fireman and stole his car. Turns out the car he had wrecked was also stolen. They got the little ba@#$%^. I hope he fries for what he did. So yes, you have a right to think twice before helping someone. I certainly would. I guess it just all depends on the area your in and the situation.

Wait! Aren't there "laws" that you HAVE TO help people, also? That is totally self defeating! you get sued if you DON'T help, but get sued if you do? no no no no no. Doesn't anyone think this is WRONG? Why doesn't somebody say something?

There is a good samaritan law in Oregon (every state is different), and any one who goes to first aid training from the Red Cross will know it. You cannot be sued if you do the following:

1) Announce that you are first aid certified (if you are) and ask for permission to assist (you must announce and ask even if the person is unconscious and unresponsive) - Let the person know you are there to help if you are not certified and ask for permission. It is VERY important that you ask to be able to help. If the person is unresponsive, and they aren't able to say yes, then it is considered life or death and you can go forward.

2) Only do what you are trained to do. If you are not certified, don't do anything. Call 911 and then let them direct you. If something bad happens, it falls on them. Give only the first aid you know. Never administer medications, unless trained to do so. And even then, it is best to not give out medication, as you often will not know the person's health history. If you are not certified in the use of a defib machine, do not attempt to use it unless instructed by 911.

3) Once paramedics, police or fire department arrive, step back and let them work unless instructed otherwise. (There are some times that if you are in a good rhythm with the CPR, the paramedics might throw you in the back of the bus with the patient and let you continue. This happened to a friend of ours who administered CPR to a patient)

As for the law that forces you to help, I am not sure that is in practice anymore. That law came into affect after quite a few first responders refused to help when they didn't know the person after MANY people had been sued. That is also when the good samaritan law came into practice. However, if you are trained, you should be willing and prepared to help at all times. Honestly, as I told Scar on the phone the other night, you will never see me without my CPR shield (unless I just had to use it, as it is a once time use deal OR I am at a formal event...hard to keep in my purse. BUT, it it is usually still in my car).

So, to answer your question Lamb, as long as it is safe for me to do so, I will step in and help in any way I can. However, I have been taught in training that if there is a danger to myself (and I mean, I would die because there are downed power lines, or something catastrophic like that), I cannot help. You have to wait for the danger to yourself to pass...because it is hard to administer first aid and CPR when you are bleeding out yourself. :-)

PS - thanks for the reminder...my CPR certification is up in January and I need to go take a class. AND, I need to get my defib cert as well!

Back