Got a problem can I get some advice?

nectrplnt

Registered
So, was doing a routine oil change and chain adjustment. As I was unscrewing the oil drain plug I noticed it was taking longer than usual. As the oil drained and I looked at the oil plug(screw) and noticed it had some metal shards in the threads. Looks like it stripped the threads on the bike......now when I screw it back in, it won't tighten all the way (because it's stripped). What do I do? Can this be fixed or do I need to now buy a new bottom end and gasket and replace the whole damm thing? Someone give me good news please.....:please:

You can retap it to the next size bolt, put in a helicoil or other thread replacement insert and keep the oem plug or replace the oil pan. Do a search as there are many threads on this subject.

I would go with a helicoil or another thread replacement insert myself. The next size bigger or replace the pan your gonna be at risk of stripping again.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

You can retap it to the next size bolt, put in a helicoil or other thread replacement insert and keep the oem plug or replace the oil pan. Do a search as there are many threads on this subject.

I would go with a helicoil or another thread replacement insert myself. The next size bigger or replace the pan your gonna be at risk of stripping again.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

^ agreed

Okay helicoil it is. I've been searching the Web and looking for the right size. Can you guys point me in the right direction to purchase the right items?

This seems to be a common problem. It would be terrific if someoen could post the required tools and parts along with a "how-to" posting.

Back