GoPro HD... Brown was here :) now I need help

Randy, I was reading up on your new camera. Says it has a 170 lense, is this correct?
I fooled around with this thing a bit and the 170 degree wide angle? not so sure it is best for motorsports.. the "fishbowl" effect is pretty high. Tends to skew your perspective of what is going on as objects come in from the outer edges of the viewing area..

I bumped it to the r5 mode (1080p@127 degrees) and the aspect ratio of the images seems much better to me.. (probably where I will leave it) Much better feel to the videos (at least IMO)..

It is compact, solid and feels like a small metal brick (no cheap feeling).

The interface to the OS is pretty straight forward and fairly intuitive.. Just follow the "quick start" guide through one or two times and I think you get a pretty good grasp of the settings and what you can do with it.. Pretty important when all you have is 2 buttons and you gotta run this thing in what might be a high stress environment..

There is one thing I guess they are working on.. "upside down" correction (inverts image so you can mount camera upside down and not have to correct video).. says to download the update... well it does not exist.. (yet)

also, the case does not allow you to power the unit up with vehicle power (so you can run continuous).. They advertise that you can power it up via USB , film, and charge the battery at the same time.. guess I lack the correct mount.. (the "Media" van has an onboard USB port so sort of nice)

Lacks a secondary mounting base so you could hook it to a standard tripod mount (threaded hole)

sort of nit picky issues but for $300, am allowed.. :)

The rest of the camera mounts and container are pretty nicely thought out.. have not tried any of them yet to see just how good they are to use but from the sounds of it from other users? should be pretty painless..

I can see where the owners really like these gizmo's... :) get video, compact size and easy to use... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
170@ 720p/960p
127@ 1080p

Kent, quick help here.. swap the pivot screw from under the camera to the other second joint..

they for some reason found it necessary to make two different screws.. if you swap them, you can easily tighten the one on the camera base..

the other is a tad longer and more skinny, it moves it outside the camera box where you can turn the stupid thing... my fat fingers could not turn the short one mounted under the camera box..

HA! I never noticed that. I thought that was kinda dumb that it touches the base and makes it hard to turn so I was using a screw driver. Thanks :beerchug:

HA! I never noticed that. I thought that was kinda dumb that it touches the base and makes it hard to turn so I was using a screw driver. Thanks :beerchug:
Yea I was reaching for the same screwdriver when I noticed the difference... "boy this is a dumb design, all they needed to do is make this skinnier and longer... Doh!"

Unh I want one...

Saving this thread for later...

Cant wait to see some movies...

How will we know if they are real when you label them 'Bogus Vids' though..:poke::rofl:

I fooled around with this thing a bit and the 170 degree wide angle? not so sure it is best for motorsports.. the "fishbowl" effect is pretty high. Tends to skew your perspective of what is going on as objects come in from the outer edges of the viewing area..

Lacks a secondary mounting base so you could hook it to a standard tripod mount (threaded hole)

The 960p is good if you need a taller picture. I don't know if you saw the vids I posted of my snowboarding trip, but they were in 960p. 1080 wouldn't have been tall enough with it mounted on the board, and when doing something like that the fisheye effect isn't too bad.

It doesn't come with a tripod mount, but they do sell them. I think it's like 10 or 15 dollars.

Just checked. It's $8 Mount.
683_large_GTRA30-01-683x426.jpg

I have the Scan Disk Ultra II 4gb and it works perfect.

I lol'ed at the different screw sizes...couldn't figure out why it was so easy to take off at one point, then later my little snausage fingers couldn't get it to tighten down :p

It's been a few weeks and I'm still afraid to put a mount on my bike....suction cup has been working amazing so far :thumbsup:

Here's the two I have from Vimeo

I mounted straight on the windscreen (also for piece of mind..I can see when/where it blows off the bike lol) and also about where Kento mounted his..but then forgot I just put on frame sliders so they get in the shot a bit

randy..the one troy had has been on my swing arm at 175 mph, it has been on my windshield via suction cup at about 168 mph, he has put it on his helmet and it stayed as i BLEW by him:laugh:....the suction cup works great..i dont recomment the tank mount as the whol windscreen and dash gets in the picture....then u have to explain to the po po about how fast u was doing....:whistle:

i think a good place to mount it is on the bike that rides behind you, so your in the shot and can learn from your own mistakes and such:thumbsup:..last but not least my camera mount is the best

n1663952250_13987_3154.jpg

Last edited:
Back