GoPro HD... Brown was here :) now I need help

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
actually it was USPS, but I got my GoPro HD Wide today..

I see it suggests class 4 SDHC, what brands are you using? any complaints? and are you using lots of little ones or just a couple large ones ?

thx..

Below is email from GoPro Support to me:

We recommend name brand SD cards with a class 4 rating or higher, but have recently come to learn that even some name brand cards such as the Sandisk 32GB, are having compatibility issues with the HD HERO camera.

We are currently working on doing a full listing of recommended (and not recommended) cards. We are researching further to determine why some cards are not adhering to the spec to which our SD card host adapter conforms. For what it's worth, internally we use Kingston or Patriot brand cards: 16GB, Class 4 without issue, so can safely recommend those.

Please do try out one of the Kingston or Patriot brand cards.

cool... and they are the cheaper ones.. :)

also, your favorite mount locations? cool they give you 4 to start out... :)

It might be better to have 2 16GB cards instead of one 32GB card for two reasons:

1. 16GB cards are a lot cheaper than a 32GB
2. Your computer can probably NOT edit one file at 32GB (if you left your camera on by accident). Breaking it up into smaller pieces seems to help the editing programs.

Mounts:

1 - Save for RAM plate
2 - Top of helmet
3 - back of tail for facing rear
4 - Some people put on front fairing, but I might recommend holdingoff on that until you take a look at some RAM locations.

Do not mount if COLD; wait 24 hours for the adhesive to SET before using!

See if you can find something to edit with that satisfies you and works on your machine....and wait for warmer weather!

time to ride.... :)

looks like at highest resolution it is 12M per GB.. I might just go with a pile of 4G cards (sessions are only 20M each and that is still close to an hour per card)... going to be fun

Last edited:
I use the 16G kingston card they advertise on their website. Works great! You can get em from walmart.com for a good price and shipping was pretty dang quick too.

Oh, and despite popular belief that the suction cup is not a safe way to attach it to your vehicle. . . It works great. Just make sure whatever you're mounting to isn't significantly curved and it's clean and you'll be fine. So far that's the only thing I've used on my vehicles and haven't had any issues whatsoever. No waiting for adhesive to dry, no wondering if the adhesive is set well enough, no waiting for other mounts to arrive in the mail.

Randy, open your battery compartment and look at the 4 screws in the base - one in each corner. 2 of mine were the wrong size and popped right out. Curious if they corrected that problem with yours.

I don't use the suction cups because they only spin on 2 axis; I like my RAM plate mount much better.

Randy, I bought a PNY 8g and later a Kingston ( another forum recommended ) either one seems to work the same I still havent been able to figure out the codec download so it will be plug & play. Right now I am still using a converter to upload files.

Any mount you use I would still tie off like with a sting or landyard of some kind. Also when I mounted on the top of the helmet I was surprised at the wind resistance abouy 80 mph.

Here's my mounts for now.

misc 4 sale 012.jpg

misc 4 sale 015.jpg

misc 4 sale 018.jpg

I wear mine on my skydiving helmet at 110MPH doesn't seem to bother me any...

Codec on the HD model is .mp4 not native to WIN XP machines. There is a big thread on this around here somewhere.

Last edited:
Randy, I was reading up on your new camera. Says it has a 170 lense, is this correct?

Randy, I was reading up on your new camera. Says it has a 170 lense, is this correct?
170@ 720p/960p
127@ 1080p

Kent, quick help here.. swap the pivot screw from under the camera to the other second joint..

they for some reason found it necessary to make two different screws.. if you swap them, you can easily tighten the one on the camera base..

the other is a tad longer and more skinny, it moves it outside the camera box where you can turn the stupid thing... my fat fingers could not turn the short one mounted under the camera box..

remove.jpg

19063_107717729240615_100000071668482_196033_8372364_n.jpg

Last edited:
I wear mine on my skydiving helmet at 110MPH doesn't seem to bother me any...

Codec on the HD model is .mp4 not native to WIN XP machines. There is a big thread on this around here somewhere.
probably feels different from free fall to holding on to a bike.. it does look like a big wind sail up there..

Back