Goodbye Ugly Shovel

looks sweet!
beerchug.gif

(V-Max 2 Busa @ May 22 2007,05:01) Greyrocket - it's an 05, I definetly need to ride more often, I'll pm you and we can set up a ride.

00Negative - No I didn't use a Dremel tool, those suckers spin at such a high RPM they have a tendancy to get away from me. I first took a white stabillo pencil and drew a line where I wanted to cut then took an Exacto knife and followed the line, gently the first time and applying a little more pressure each pass. Use a new sharp blade and it cuts pretty easily. At first I left about 1/8" lip figuring I could file that off but found it easier to just cut again and take off the 1/8" remaining lip, then followed up with a file to smooth it out. The bracket is very basic & simple, just determined proper measurements and cut the sheet aluminum with a jig saw then finished up with a file, next I put it in a vise and manually put an even crease/bend in it, a little at a time each time taking it out and checking the fit on the bike until I got the desired angle. I also cut a little backing plate for reinforcement so the plate wouldn't vibrate, this plate goes inside the rear compartment (I hope you can follow that) I knew when I was doin this I should have took pics of the parts for a tutorial. I'm gonna post a pic now with view from underneath but I painted everything black so it's kinda hard to see in the pics, tomorrow I'll see if I can get some better pics outside, I can also draw up an actual size scematic of the parts so that you can use it as a template to reproduce them, this is all very easy & just about anyone should be able to do it. For the reflector I simply masked off the tail light section and spray painted the reflector, I used Krylon Semi-Flat Black on everything, it matched up well with the black plastic.

tail2.jpg
So much for photoshopping the first pic
laugh.gif

Back