Goodbye Ugly Shovel

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Well finally worked up the nerve to cut that sucker off.  Looks sooo cool now, really opens up the back end of the bike.  Also blacked out the reflector under the tail light then fabricated a license plate bracket from some scrap .063" aluminum sheet.  Here's a couple quick pics, probably should have taken them outside.

tail1.jpg

tail.jpg

Looks good!

Did you use a dremel? How'd you black out the reflector? would you mind giving some details on the license plate bracket? I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

I'm thinking of saving money and trying this myself! I'd rather spend the money on a Hindle single exit exhaust system!

TIA.

Greyrocket - it's an 05, I definetly need to ride more often, I'll pm you and we can set up a ride.

00Negative - No I didn't use a Dremel tool, those suckers spin at such a high RPM they have a tendancy to get away from me. I first took a white stabillo pencil and drew a line where I wanted to cut then took an Exacto knife and followed the line, gently the first time and applying a little more pressure each pass. Use a new sharp blade and it cuts pretty easily. At first I left about 1/8" lip figuring I could file that off but found it easier to just cut again and take off the 1/8" remaining lip, then followed up with a file to smooth it out. The bracket is very basic & simple, just determined proper measurements and cut the sheet aluminum with a jig saw then finished up with a file, next I put it in a vise and manually put an even crease/bend in it, a little at a time each time taking it out and checking the fit on the bike until I got the desired angle. I also cut a little backing plate for reinforcement so the plate wouldn't vibrate, this plate goes inside the rear compartment (I hope you can follow that) I knew when I was doin this I should have took pics of the parts for a tutorial. I'm gonna post a pic now with view from underneath but I painted everything black so it's kinda hard to see in the pics, tomorrow I'll see if I can get some better pics outside, I can also draw up an actual size scematic of the parts so that you can use it as a template to reproduce them, this is all very easy & just about anyone should be able to do it. For the reflector I simply masked off the tail light section and spray painted the reflector, I used Krylon Semi-Flat Black on everything, it matched up well with the black plastic.

tail2.jpg

Spike & Heavy - I'll probably get a tail light/turn signal intergrator from clear alternatives eventually but for now I'm not really worried about it, I run all my V-Max's without turn signals and havn't gotten a ticket yet, it's not like back in the 70's when they would write fix-it tickets for anything & everything. As far as letting the cager's know what my intentions are I'll continue to use hand signals, as if they actually pay attention anyway.

I had no idea. I am here in Sacramento too and I thought they would nail you for no turn signals.

Hmmmm..... makes me think.

Back