Good to see the big issues are getting worked on...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I guess since the economy is now much better and the immigration problems have been taken care of we can start to get to the real issues in the country.... Not trying to minimize any pain or bladder issues of women but, REALLY, is this what we are paying our Govt to manage? What else is out there breaking down because were talking about toilets....

Cap

Congress Considers 'Potty Parity' Bill for Women - ABC News

'Potty Parity' Bill to End Some Long Ladies' Room Lines
Congress Sees Lingering Gender Discrimination in Unequal Toilet Facilities for Women

Architect Kathryn Anthony testifies on Capitol Hill about restroom legislation.Some even see disparities in the number of men's and women's toilets as a lingering form of gender discrimination from decades past.

Now Congress hopes "potty parity" legislation can provide some much needed relief to the bladders of women and children nationwide, at least those who visit or work in new federal government buildings. The bill would require an equal number of toilets for each gender.

"Holding it in can take its toll," Kathryn Anthony, an architecture professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and expert on "gender issues in design," told a House panel considering the bill today.

"Emergencies happen," she said. "Accidents happen. Urinary tract infections happen. Delaying voiding can result in serious medical conditions. It is now time for our federal government to act."

The so-called "Potty Parity" bill would end what they call the "unfathomable" discrimination women face by the infrastructure disparities in their workplaces.

The average American uses a toilet more than half a dozen times a day, nearly 3,000 times a year, and, all told, will spend up to two years of an entire life in the restroom.

"It's very troubling that you may be more likely to see in federal buildings women waiting in line for a restroom than you are to see them on the floor of the Senate," said Erin Matson, spokeswoman for the National Organization for Women, which supports the bill.

Experts say fewer toilets for women today largely reflect a previous era when women weren't as prominent in the workforce. It's a lingering reminder, Anthony said, of a "subtle yet powerful form of gender discrimination."

Potty Parity Bill to Address 'Archaic' Government Facilities
The bill would apply only to new federal structures and not existing federal buildings, unless they are undergoing renovation. It also includes an exemption clause in the event a one-to-one ratio is unfeasible.

The General Services Administration, which maintains workspace for more than 1 million federal employees and contractors, says it supports the measure.

"The average age for a GSA building is 46 years," Robert A. Peck, the GSA commissioner of public buildings, said. "GSA has over 500 buildings that were built before 1950, during a time in which there were fewer women in the workforce. … The issue of gender parity should be addressed as we undertake future construction, modernization and leasing actions."

In a letter to their House colleagues earlier this year, Towns and Issa called government infrastructure "grossly archaic."

A previous version of the bill, which had advocated a 2-to-1 female-to-male ratio for toilets and included broader mandates to include non-government buildings such as restaurants and ballparks failed to garner enough support.

National restroom and restaurant groups have opposed the 2-to-1 ratio and attempts to impose sweeping guidelines for private businesses.

Towns, who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, says as gender parity continues to gain importance in society, solving the problem must begin with addressing "insufficient facilities for women in public buildings."

"It is so easy to make light of this effort and mock those advancing the cause," former Washington, D.C., Mayor Sharon Pratt said. "I can speak from personal observation and experience … that the disparity in restrooms is glaring, inconvenient, enormously insufficient and downright unfair."

so yes the ladies lines are always longer.... I suspect this is more a function of behavior & functional process .... in other words I just takes a girl longer to accomplish the task. Adding toilets is not going to dramatically increase the process :whistle:

that being said, my reaction to this bill is ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS? WTFO! I cannot even start to impress my opinion on this one as it will get me banned :banghead:

i suppose it has nohing to with, non-stop gossipping and chit-chat....and why is there a couch in the female restroom?

so yes the ladies lines are always longer.... I suspect this is more a function of behavior & functional process .... in other words I just takes a girl longer to accomplish the task. Adding toilets is not going to dramatically increase the process :whistle:

that being said, my reaction to this bill is ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS? WTFO! I cannot even start to impress my opinion on this one as it will get me banned :banghead:

+1 :banghead::banghead:

I don't see wtf the big deal is. It should be the same...for instance. Last time I was at a drag strip when you go into the mens room there are stalls and there are troughs. Why don't they make a trough style for the girls...hang their a$$ over it and go. If guys can stand elbow to elbow and do it, why can't the girls sit cheek to cheek? :laugh:

You should not be surprised, our Government has been in the crapper for a long time now with issues and spending money we don't have to spend. :O

Why am I NOT surprised to see you commenting in here? :poke: :laugh:

Well, I guess since the economy is now much better and the immigration problems have been taken care of we can start to get to the real issues in the country.... Not trying to minimize any pain or bladder issues of women but, REALLY, is this what we are paying our Govt to manage? What else is out there breaking down because were talking about toilets....

Cap

Capt

I said the same thing when one committee was working on the "steal from us package" that had to pass NOW or we are DOOMED (even though half the money still hasn't been spent but we won't go there here) and another committee was holding hearings on the use of steroids by Major League Baseball players. Not only do these people love to waste our money, they also seem to love wasting their time on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Let's put all this in perspective.

They, (government) are a corporation. A badly run corporation, that relies on the counterfeiting of money to stay afloat.

Without our support of their monopoly money, they would crumble tomorrow.

Now doesn't this article seem just a tad more amusing to all of you? :beerchug:

Back