Here are the 23 executive orders signed today by Obama

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
[Updated at 12:22 p.m. ET] The announcement is over, and Obama is signing the 23 executive actions. These orders are in addition to laws that Obama wants Congress to pass. Here, according to the White House, are what the 23 executive actions will do, without congressional approval:

1. “Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.â€

2. “Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.â€

3. “Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.â€

4. “Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.â€

5. “Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.â€

6. “Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. “Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.â€

8. “Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).â€

9. “Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.â€

10. “Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.â€

11. “Nominate an ATF director.â€

12. “Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.â€

13. “Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.â€

14. “Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.â€

15. “Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.â€

16. “Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.â€

17. “Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.â€

18. “Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.â€

19. “Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.â€

20. “Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.â€

21. “Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.â€

22. “Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.â€

23. “Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.â€

Seems like a bunch of talk of which most will never happen?
Number 16 seems to be the most disturbing?

I saw #16 too. Just because they ask doesn't mean you have to answer (or tell the truth, I guess)....

Well we knew he was going after mags and ugly guns.
But nothing else really seems surprising or scary?

#16 was the only one that really stood out to me. The rest of it looks like the same old blah blah blah yackity schmackity...

I'd suggest 13 is just as ugly as 16 depending on what its teeth look like.

I'd suggest 13 is just as ugly as 16 depending on what its teeth look like.

What did you have in mind that's scary about it? Other than the possibility of expanding government through growth in the ATF, I don't see an immediate downside.
Current laws related to gun crime need better enforcement. I don't think too many responsible gun owners would disagree with that.

A long-term downside would be if congress takes steps to criminalize those of us who currently own and enjoy our guns within the limits of the law. Registration, semi-auto forfeiture, etc... If they change the laws to turn good people into criminals, then many people will just become criminals. Some people in the world would just do what the gov't ordered, but I think there are too many millions in the USA who won't stand for it.

none of it tells me anything scary personaly... just him pissing in the wind.

This is a pretty measured and logical approach, which is typical for Obama. There is nothing in there that steps outside current 2nd amendment boundaries. But I the tricky one here is number 14. Currently there is little objective evidence connecting guns with anything beyond stistical tendancies. They are looking for some direct causal links to guns and gun violence. If they can make that link then the game changes. For example are there certain personality profiles that are shared by mass shooters? Then they know what to look for and how to keep that person away from a gun.

Personally I don't think that will be easy because most of them end up dead, so they can't interview them or study their mental states. So basically this is Obama putting a check in the box "do something about guns". I'm glad because the gun thing would not be constructive to his agenda.

Anybody here that bought a $4000 AR15 in the last month regretting their decision? :whistle:

I'm kind of okay with #16 if it's used in the way I see it in my head. If the Dr knows you are mentally handicapped, challenged, or otherwise not fit to make rational decisions he should be able to find out if you have access to firearms and pass that info on to family members or law enforcement if necessary. This COULD be a good thing... Could be bad too, but hey who am I to judge. :lol:

What I didn't hear in his AWB or Mag proposal was grandfathering, as that's what's going to create a big stink in NY.

I think the President knows how to play this - use the emotional event to make political points, yet put's the heavy load (and, blame if it doesn't go thru) on Congress.

"Well, you know I'm for protecting innocent children, but Congress is responsible for passing the laws and those evil Republicans blocked it" He gets all the cover he needs...at least he was smart enough to know what his limits were, given the amount of pushback he's getting.

What I didn't hear in his AWB or Mag proposal was grandfathering, as that's what's going to create a big stink in NY.

I think the President knows how to play this - use the emotional event to make political points, yet put's the heavy load (and, blame if it doesn't go thru) on Congress.

"Well, you know I'm for protecting innocent children, but Congress is responsible for passing the laws and those evil Republicans blocked it" He gets all the cover he needs...at least he was smart enough to know what his limits were, given the amount of pushback he's getting.

Is is ok to respond with "Don't hate the player, hate the game?" :laugh::poke:

Just a first step, be on guard , this guy makes slick willie look sticky.

obamaoverreach.png

What did you have in mind that's scary about it? Other than the possibility of expanding government through growth in the ATF, I don't see an immediate downside.
Current laws related to gun crime need better enforcement. I don't think too many responsible gun owners would disagree with that.

A long-term downside would be if congress takes steps to criminalize those of us who currently own and enjoy our guns within the limits of the law. Registration, semi-auto forfeiture, etc... If they change the laws to turn good people into criminals, then many people will just become criminals. Some people in the world would just do what the gov't ordered, but I think there are too many millions in the USA who won't stand for it.

My fear is that there is no limit or line on the "efforts". Morons like the NY gov show that without such limits they would willingly go door to door to collect or enforce thier will...errr laws. I agree we need better enforcement but tempered with limits that protect legal law obiding citizens.

Three come to mind, Recall petitions on all that voted for the assault on this, jury nullification. Then there is the supreme court if any of the law is in violation of someones rights. End of the day, upstate needs to separate from NY Metro area, there are no cultural ties between the two regions, never has been even before the revolution, NYC metro supported the English, full of loyalists, that culture of serfdom is still alive and well in NY metro area, not so in upstate.

My fear is that there is no limit or line on the "efforts". Morons like the NY gov show that without such limits they would willingly go door to door to collect or enforce thier will...errr laws. I agree we need better enforcement but tempered with limits that protect legal law obiding citizens.

What I should have said is that I'm in favor of stronger enforcement actions against violent crimes, specifically those involving guns. When some thug is sentenced to 15-20 years, he has no business being back on the streets in 2, but that's how it works in this country.

Back