Good ole Overheating Problems

What can happen to water pumps after 5 yrs or so? Mine gets hot pretty quick now it seems, doesn't take as long in stop and go traffic to switch the fan on as it used to. Comes on just past the half way mark. It was only about 26C out and in heavy traffic, after a couple stops, even the red temp light came on after starting back up.
I thought either the t-stat is sticky or the water pump is weak, if possible.
Thanks.

Thank my quarter, too! He worked awfully hard! :laugh:

And thats about all the money you are going to have left after adding all the mods.

I did the temperature sensor relocation to grap the wather temp coming out of the engine and a second fan. Both came from RCC and are a pretty easy install, fan now comes on a couple ticks below the halfway mark and never passes it. been stuck in heavy DC traffic with absolutely no issues. For good measure I did engine ice and a capful of water wetter too.

I'm also new here so hello to everyone!

As far as the overheating goes, try a new radiator cap. I've had a bike do the same thing, problem was cap just squeaking by enough pressure to cause loss of cooling but not enough to be dramatic puking. Part of your resistance to boilover is pressure not just airflow or antifreeze ratio. It's so simple it's easy to overlook. (I know)

+1 on the engine ice also.

Has there been any official statement by Suzuki on this issue? Or is it just a known fact the 1st gen bikes had a subpar cooling system? (I'm not even sure if 2003 is considered 1st gen still). I'd really like to hear from an experienced Suzuki mechanic what can cause loss of cooling efficiency on these bikes, or should we just change the obvious and hope for the best. I'll start with the rad cap and t-stat.

I have a 2006 BUSA and had overheating problems the day I bought it brand new...after several coolant flushes and burping...I decided to drain the coolant and replace with Engine Ice. I replaced the stock fan with a Muzzy, replaced Oil with Synthetic Oil. I also replaced the thermostat with an OEM part that lowers the temperature at which the fan comes on from 212 to 180 degrees. I live in DC and anyone famililar with the DC traffic knows about stop and go. I haven't had an over heating problem since...not even during rolling thunder.

Back