GMbusa might be back on a Busa.

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering remaking a version of my old orange pearl 04'busa that I used to own. That bike is now owned by another member on here out in the midwest. I think his screen name is Red05 (Paul).. My one reason for deciding to build another was that I was waiting to see that my wife was ok with it. Hey, I know alot of guys would just go build another when they wanted but I wanted her to be good with the idea and to not have any issues. Call me whipped but I want her to be for it without her worrying all the time. lol

For those who don't know I was in a near fatal head-on crash on July 18th 2010 on my HD RoadGlide. I decided to try the HD touring side of things since I work for HD. But I realized about a week before my accident that a HD doesn't fit my riding style and I was literally on my last outing with the bike. Little did I know it was really the last time out for that bike. I ride everyday for my job as a tech so the fear isn't there. I've thought about how much I regretted selling the orange crate to get a turbo Busa as the turbo bike turned out to be a headache for the first month I owned it and on till I sold it. But I've decided if I do it to use a Gen2 Busa.
This might get alittle long but bear with me....
Here's what I'm thinking about doing. I like chrome and I like performance. So my bike is going to reflect the two.

1. 1441 kit with a ported head and cams.. I'll checkout and see what Lee's performance has laying around.
2. Chromed frame, extended swingarm forks and OWN engine side covers.
3. Smoothed and painted OEM bodyset with extended tailsection. HOK Tangelo Orange pearl sprayed over Orion silver heavy metallic base. I'll also paint the stock tail in case I go back to stock. I change my bikes up from time to time.
4. Kinda undecided with the wheels. I had PM Torque wheels before but they were heavy and pricey even with my dealer discount. Maybe some PM revolutions.
5. Modded seat or a Corbin
6. Helibars and risers.
7. Wave rotors, EBC pads and SS lines. Maybe even a better brake master cylinder. Brembo?
8. Hindle or Brocks exhaust.
9. Some type of soft saddlebag setup for bike meets or long trips.
10. Fully set up suspension for my weight. I'll have 2 rear shocks for when I'm stretched or stock height. I'm going to try to find a compromise for the front forks so that I can leave them on for both setups. I never ride two up so it's a bit easier to find my settings.
11. Undercut trans and EVO shift detent when I do the engine. It's the best $300-500 you'll ever spend on your bike.
12. Tires. I've been out of the loop living in the HD world too long to know what's good anymore for the Busa's. For when I'm extended I will run a Shinko out back. Never had an issue EVER with a rear u-soft 003. I'm gonna run a different set of tires when I'm stock.
13. Vortex gascap, Pazzo levers and some good rearsets that give me more legroom. I used the Vortex rearsets for a long time and never had issues.
14.Some type of good steering dampener.
I've run out of ideas for the time being. I'll still do the normal upgrades like a windscreen and better grips and stuff.
Mainly I'm going for a useable good looking and running bike. I'm not made of money so this is a plan to be done over time. Plus I like my marriage and don't want the wife pissed about all the parts being bought.... LOL

Here's the old orange crate... You can get an idea of what I'm going for.

Now to find a suitable 08-09'Busa.

Me at the dragon.jpg

Paul's pics 277.jpg

Sunkist busa.jpg

Well its about time you have come to your senses! LOL

That's a sweet color. You could use a zx14 brake mc. I like the most of the PM wheels, CZ are looking pretty sexy if you want to go that route.

welcome back, stranger :laugh: i talked to Red05 a couple months ago and he's still enjoying riding Tango...i know he'll be glad to hear you are looking at picking up another Busa :beerchug:

I'm about to get a turbo installed on my gen 2... What type of headaches were you having out of your turbo?

It's ALL in the tuner with a turbo. Your dyno guy can be the deciding factor in a long lasting project or a grenade. Problem was I had a race bike builder build me engine and tune it. I recieved, unknowingly, a race built and WOT tuned Busa. I SPECIFICALLY stated multiple times that my Busa was a street driven motorcycle with occassional track duty. I overbuild my stuff to handle anything I can throw at it. The problem was my build would run warm and idle kinda odd at certain times. It also felt low on power for what I had done to it. After 2 months of street riding and one dragstrip day I put it on the shops dyno to check the A/F. At WOT it read fine at 13:4, but when you brought the bike to cruising speed the A/F went to a mind blowing 17:8/1 A/F. That's RETARDEDLY high even for a naturally asp engine. When I adjusted the A/F to 13:4 I gained 27HP!!!!! 27HP!!!! That's how F'ed up it was. The bike ran like a raped ape after the adustment. It was twice the bike I had before. But that's when the issues started. My beautful JE forged pistons actually started flaking away to the point you could see the top of the top rings of the pistons. All the heat ruined everything. Nothing short of a complete rebuild would take care of it.

I went through 2 engines in 2 years. The first engine was killed from a kinked fuel line and a high rpm highway run. Very common problem from what I've read. The second was listed above. I was burnt out and just tired of having a project bike as my only ride.

Here's what I learned. I could build a reliable turbo bike with my experience if I so choosed to.
1. MOST IMPORTANT!! Get the best dyno tuner you can. Spend the cash and do it right.. If the guy seems like he's only part listening to what your saying then move on and find another tuner. Also, look at the bikes in the garage or some of the people he's built and tuned for. Are they all racers? A guy that builds primarily bigbore and/or nitrous bikes might not be your best tuner. Turbo's are a bit different in tuning and they have their own quirks and little issues. The same thing can be reversed. Don't let the tuner learn with your bike. Go to someone that knows.
2. You do not need a stage2 or crazy system with all types of options to make streetable power. A stage1 turbo will offer ALL the power/boost a pumpgas engine can handle. A race fuel engine is another whole story andbarrel full of monkey's.
3. Don't hunt for the highest HP number. Trust me when I say that 250 good running HP is ALOT of useable power. More than enough to burn the tire down the street. Yep, 90mph roll on wheelies are quite easy on a stock wheelbase streetbike.
4. Don't cheap out on buying parts. By decent parts and they will last. That 30cent brass oil line fitting you bought instead of the $15 one might be costing you a rebuilt engine.
5. Get a turbo with an external blowoff valve. The internal BOV's tend to not vent right and seldom work effectiently.
PM me for any more info. I will gladly let you know what shops to avoid.

One other thing... you know with turbo's there are no highspeed topend runs with them unless you are fuel mapped to do so. That same topend map will run like garbage at lower speeds. So actually two fuel maps are needed. A mltifunction hub with multi maps is to be used. This info was straight from the mouth of RIP master tuner Dave-O himself.

Go with a bigbore engine. MUCH better for a steetbike with alot less problems.

Nice to see you back on GM, your thoughts on your new bike sound awesome cant wait, i really liked the orange crate she was sweet

Back