Glue for fairing grills

psycobusa

Registered
i did a search on this but i came up with nothing.....maybe im doing something wrong. i can never find what i need when using the search. always get a bunch of junk that is uhh junk. anyway i need to know what kind of glue everyone is using to install the fairing grills. thanks

yep take a soldering iron and "tac weld" spots around the perimeter of the screen that you "molded into place". The tac welds will melt the screen into the plastic a tad to hold it while you ATV it. Perfect fit every time. "push" them outward it looks better than "flat" when viewed from the outside of it.

JD

Oh and make sure all your "diamond" patterns are running the same direction before you glue. So cut them a little big until you get them molded into place then trim them some. It looks funny when some run up down and the others run left right. It's not so obvious until your ALL done then your ticked.

JD

and wear mechanic gloves too.....

I got 12 cuts on my left hand and 9 on the right...
while cuting and bending it to shape

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|birdaprey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146192131 -->

I used that "metal" 2 part putty stuff; rolled it into thin strips, got the screens how and where I wanted them and the pressed the thin roll down thru the screen to the plastic. 10 minutes hard as steel, not going anywhere, no muss no fuss.

Talk to "Postal" he is board member who is master of the grill and seller...everyone, who bought a set from him? is happy I'm waiting a set...prolly next week sometime, he says something about epoxi not sure thou...talk to him...
rock.gif

this is what you need. Found it at ace hardware. Can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. Postal will tell you this is what to get.

hogger...

118_1884.JPG

I would advise you to scratch up the backside of your plastic for a better bond in the areas of gluing.

Black RTV from Auto Zone and tacked every inch or so with a soldering iron. Worked well and I can remove them later if I like
smile.gif

I would advise you to scratch up the backside of your plastic for a better bond in the areas of gluing.
I did not do that but it would not hurt. Be sure to clean area with rubbing alcohol. Glue takes about ten to fifteen minutes to set.

Complete instructions are included with Postals screens. They are really nice.

hogger...

<!--EDIT|hogger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146232273 -->

117_1756_r1.jpg

I used clear silicone caulk. Easy to clean up, transperant, won't crack if flexed and it's cheap, and I had some in my truck.

That's good to know. I haven't put in my side fairing mesh (the ones that are close to the engine) yet. When I do I'll use high temp sealer. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and make sure all your "diamond" patterns are running the same direction before you glue.  So cut them a little big until you get them molded into place then trim them some.  It looks funny when some run up down and the others run left right.  It's not so obvious until your ALL done then your ticked.

JD
+2 on this - I didn't. Now one of the grilles is "upside down"
evil.gif
I just left it for now. I also used the cheapie grille material from the hardware store and it bends very easily. The preformed kit mentioned above is your best bet.
cool.gif

Back