getting the shinko to hook??

justa-busa-girl

Registered
i stretched the bike 4 inches went up 2 teeth in the rear and put a shinko u soft on her. I did a few practice launches on the street and was suprised how easy it was to break the tire loose. I realize the street is not going to give traction like the a preped track will but i was suprised i couldnt get traction at all. I had 25 psi in the tire. I hope she hooks up on the strip because i didnt get to go to test and tune last weekend and my next and first race of the season will be a points race. Is this normal for the tire to spin so easy on the street? or do i need to do a little suspension softening?

I belive the tyre will spin very easy on street with a 4 inch strech and 2 up rear. Even stock it will spin when the tyres are cold. I have no stretch and the front leaves ground very easy on 1st and 2nd and sometimes on 3rd. But when it not lifting the front on 3rd on WOT it is quite common it spins instead, on 3 at the upper rpm range if the temperature is a bit low. The grip on street is no near as good as a glued track.

How many miles on the tire...? You need to ride it a bit to get the tire mold goop off and heat cycle it a few times also. It should start hooking pretty good then. Sometimes you need to heat the tire up a little will a small burnout but it depends on the track prep. You don't have any VHT on the street so it's not going to hook nearly as well on the road... ;)

A 4" stretch may be to much for your setup also which could be hurting your launch ability. This is may be the only case where long isn't always better depending on your setup... :rofl:

Last edited:
How many miles on the tire...? You need to ride it a bit to get the tire mold goop off and heat cycle it a few times also. It should start hooking pretty good then. Sometimes you need to heat the tire up a little will a small burnout but it depends on the track prep. You don't have any VHT on the street so it's not going to hook nearly as well on the road... ;)

A 4" stretch may be to much for your setup also which could be hurting your launch ability. This is may be the only case where long isn't always better depending on your setup... :rofl:

lol, the tire is new but i did a few burnouts to scuff it in and heat it up. i think ill soften the supension up a little and hopefully it will squat and put more weigh on the rear tire!!

I just noticed you ran 25psi in the tire. You need to drop it down at the track for sure. I believe most run 12-18psi so that makes a BIG difference... :beerchug:

I had 6.5 stretch and in would smoke the back tire on command. Put it at 5 and it will pull the front wheel off the ground in first and a little in 2nd. And I just have the 003 not the ultra soft. I would think that at 4 you would have no problem hooking. Maybe the tire really does have to break in on those. I am curious so keep us updated.

something must be wrong with my busa...i have a seven inch stretch and lowered and a 200 shinko u-soft and i don't spin the tire at all... could it be because i'm 300lbs? or i'm not dumping the clutch at a high enough rpm...

Busagirl,
At your stretch, start with 20psi in the Shinko (or Mickey) at the track assuming good conditions, and drop in small increments if the track condition can't support it. Dropping to 12 psi is very drastic, and will cost you around 2-3 mph. Launching at lower rpm is sometimes a better strategy than dropping tire pressure. The GenII has such great low end grunt that on really bad surfaces I just launch at 2500, getting the clutch out instantly and grunting through 1st gear WOT. On good surfaces, you can launch much higher. I have a 9" stretch and launch at 6500 on good tracks and still pick up the front.

On the street its worthless trying to get a stretched bike to hook. Don't worry about it / don't even try...What works on the street will flip you over on the track.

something must be wrong with my busa...i have a seven inch stretch and lowered and a 200 shinko u-soft and i don't spin the tire at all... could it be because i'm 300lbs? or i'm not dumping the clutch at a high enough rpm...

weight makes a big diference as far as hooking up goes, so thats probaly why you are not spinning, i can just crack the throttle a little and leave huge black strips all over the road lol. .. peanutrobber yeah i think it needs to be broke in a little better than it is, i did some burnouts with it bit its still pretty slick...got-busa yeah when i get her on the strip i air down the tires, lol im probally just parinoyed sp? i just dont want to loose a race due to spinning , thats what happened the last race of the season last year:banghead:

Busagirl,
At your stretch, start with 20psi in the Shinko (or Mickey) at the track assuming good conditions, and drop in small increments if the track condition can't support it. Dropping to 12 psi is very drastic, and will cost you around 2-3 mph. Launching at lower rpm is sometimes a better strategy than dropping tire pressure. The GenII has such great low end grunt that on really bad surfaces I just launch at 2500, getting the clutch out instantly and grunting through 1st gear WOT. On good surfaces, you can launch much higher. I have a 9" stretch and launch at 6500 on good tracks and still pick up the front.

On the street its worthless trying to get a stretched bike to hook. Don't worry about it / don't even try...What works on the street will flip you over on the track.

thanks draco good imfo!!! ill quit worrying about it lol , ill be honest i have a person that i want to whip when we race next weekend, and i dont want to loose due to spining lol, i want him baddddddddddddd!!!

what draco said... also think about softening the rear suspension a little. Again, don't make drastic changes and change only one thing at a time.

Back