Getting ready to do a complete makeover...

bjjandbusas4me

Registered
I did custom paintwork for about 14 years. I've decided to repaint my '07 during this off season. I just started taking the plastics off. I plan on doing a very dark candy purple then approximately 4 coats of black tinted clear to get the effect I want (I determined the right number of coats by testing on an old satellite dish) then finally 3 coats of straight clear. The end result should be a bike that looks black until the sun hits her right and then BAM!, dark purple. I didn't know how many write ups the org has seen on paint jobs so I'd thought I'd see if there was any interest in one. If so, I'll do a step by step with lots of pics. If not, I'll just post the finished product.

Here's a snap of the test dish..

bike 012.jpg

step by step with a parts list would absolutely rock! I've never painted anything automotive but would like to at least know what I need to try it :cool:

That looks great! I would like to see a write up personally. I've always wanted to see what steps were involved when it came to painting. :beerchug::thumbsup:

I'm going to finish taking the plastics off this weekend and start the prepping process. Look for the how to thread soon! I will cover everything from prep, paint application (including necessary materials and equipment) and finish with proper color sanding and buffing.

Last edited:
Back