GenMar riser \"tight\" on a y2000 Busa

OB_CaveDweller

Registered
I installed the genmar bar risers on my Y2000 Busa yesterday. The electrical lines had enough slack, the hydraulic lines went from slack to snug but still OK. The starter (fast-idle) cable however, is so tight that full left turn of the bars pulls the cable to faster idle. Anybody else experience this ? I never turn the bars that far during regular rides, but when parking the bike and during warm-up (with the wheel relaxed left) the fast-idle line is too tight.

Can I get at the cable end adjustment on the engine inlets with the just the tank up, or do I need to pull the air box off too ? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 18 January 2000).]

Cavedweller,

I had a similar experience with the Heli bars setup. Here is what you do.

1. Remove the seat and then lift the tank via the hinge.

2. disconnect the choke cable under the tank on the right side of the bike.

3. on the right (throttle) side of the frame, on the steering tube you will see a bracket that holds the throttle, choke, etc. cables. remove this and pull the coke lever out and then refasten the bracket with the two other cables.

4. run the choke cable on the left side of bars, over the area that the upper part of the tank mounts to and down the side to the choke slide. Reconnect the choke cable to the choke, and adjust the tension.

5. Lower the tank and run the cable underneath the screws that hold down the tank.

Your all set. This only sounds complicated, once your at your bike you will see the layout and it will make sense.

Also note, that if the throttle cable is too tight, you can adjust it via the threaded adjusters where the cable exits the bottom of the throttle assembly on the bars.

Hope this helps.

You need to reroute the cable, lift the tank and disconnect the cable, bring it back to the left side of the steering head and lay it inbetween the two bolts that hold the front of the tank secure. On one of my bikes I have the Gen-Mar risers and Heli-bars. This is the solution recommended by Harry at Heli-Modified. This takes about 5 minutes.

Russ

Thanks Guys,

I found out last night that there was insufficient cable adjustment with the original routing but was not brave enough to reroute the cable around the left side without advice. Will try your solution tonight. I assume you've had no trouble with the cable getting pinched under the tank hold down ?

Back