Gen3 Luggage Options

SPOCKo

Registered
Hello all, I’m contemplating my options for the next bike after my Concours 14 met an untimely demise. I’m heavily contemplating the gen3 Hayabusa but I need it to be viable for two up cruising with luggage. My research so far has lead me to Givi for top case and SW MOTECH for side panniers. (Which one of them says not with pillion.) Gen3 owners what are you running for luggage and pictures? Also any pros/cons of your particular setup. Also any stand alone back rest as the wife definitely needs one, we had one on the Concours to prevent her from flying off as that bike also briskly accelerates and the Busa is definitely a step up.

Have yall sat on a gen3?
Vs the Concours, both rider and passenger knees will be much more bent on the gen3, and the rider has a long reach to the bars, vs the upright Concours.
Power is also night and day, the Concours doesn't stand a chance against the Busa.
As for the luggage, there are a few aftermarker top boxes, side bags, tank bag, seats, and handlebar configurements to choose from.
These guys all have gen3 luggage.

@60+ Busa Rider
@Miklos_HUN
@pashnit

Have yall sat on a gen3?
Vs the Concours, both rider and passenger knees will be much more bent on the gen3, and the rider has a long reach to the bars, vs the upright Concours.
Power is also night and day, the Concours doesn't stand a chance against the Busa.
As for the luggage, there are a few aftermarker top boxes, side bags, tank bag, seats, and handlebar configurements to choose from.
These guys all have gen3 luggage.

@60+ Busa Rider
@Miklos_HUN
@pashnit
I realize the busa has more power than the Concourse. Have you ridden the Concours though? It’s not as docile as you’d think especially with a tune a set of pipes. Kawi definitely mutes them from the factory. I have sat on one and just bought my gen3 the other day. So far I love her and can’t wait to finish breaking her in.

I appreciate the insight. I’ll look into their setups.

I’ve already ordered a tail tidy, heli bar riser and rails for the givi top case. I’ll eventually spring for the side cases.

I realize the busa has more power than the Concourse. Have you ridden the Concours though? It’s not as docile as you’d think especially with a tune a set of pipes. Kawi definitely mutes them from the factory. I have sat on one and just bought my gen3 the other day. So far I love her and can’t wait to finish breaking her in.

I appreciate the insight. I’ll look into their setups.

I’ve already ordered a tail tidy, heli bar riser and rails for the givi top case. I’ll eventually spring for the side cases.

I had a Concours(one of many bikes) and I did a full exhaust, air filter, and ecu flash with a/f tune.
It ran great for what it was, just nowhere close to a Busa, and not my thing.
I traded it for another Gsxr1000.

Screenshot_20220916-175839_Gallery.jpg

I had a Concours(one of many bikes) and I did a full exhaust, air filter, and ecu flash with a/f tune.
It ran great for what it was, just nowhere close to a Busa, and not my thing.
I traded it for another Gsxr1000.

View attachment 1666352
Nice Connie, I also went with the Black widow full system. It was quick for what it is and damn good for two up riding but unfortunately mine decided it wanted to be an ADV bike and welp.

Even tho I’m still in my break In phase and keeping it under 5500-6k rpm I can feel her eager to charge and let loose.

Hello all, I’m contemplating my options for the next bike after my Concours 14 met an untimely demise. I’m heavily contemplating the gen3 Hayabusa but I need it to be viable for two up cruising with luggage. My research so far has lead me to Givi for top case and SW MOTECH for side panniers. (Which one of them says not with pillion.) Gen3 owners what are you running for luggage and pictures? Also any pros/cons of your particular setup. Also any stand alone back rest as the wife definitely needs one, we had one on the Concours to prevent her from flying off as that bike also briskly accelerates and the Busa is definitely a step up.
I know you didn’t ask for help deciding which bike to get, but I think is still worth saying this:

I currently own a gen2 and a 2016 concours and they are two very different animals. I twist the throttle on the concours and I’m left waiting for it to take off like the busa but that violent acceleration never arrives. Lol! The concours I can comfortably ride in temps down to the 40s but the same temp is a miserable ride on the busa. The wind beats the crap out of me on the busa, while the concours provides a nice quiet pocket that makes long rides easy. The better half can do a couple of hundred miles on the back of the concours but has no desire to go on long rides with the busa’s small seat (compared to the concours) and limited legroom.
All that being said, I’m not trying to scare you away from a gen3 but make sure you put some miles on 1 if you can so you don’t end up regretting your decision.
As for luggage run givi top and side cases on my gen2 and happy with the quality and space they provide.

20230323_170202.jpg

I use a Hepco&Becker topcase for commuting. Decided in favour of this instead of the Givi because
- The box stick out back somewhat less
- The supports look somewhat sturdier on the H&B - this may mean nothing as both manufacturers limit them to 5kg/130km/h. I have disregarded both restrictions without problem.
- The whole setup (rack, plate, box) was somewhat cheaper.
- Liked the look of the H&B 55l box better. The new Givi V58NN MAXIA 5 doesn't look half bad, but it wasn't available when I ordered.

By SW Motech side panniers you mean the Pro Blaze pair? On my previous GSX-S1000 I had good experience with them. When not needed you can take them off with barely anything remaining on the bike. Didn't buy them for this bike because I wanted something different and on the factory pictures they look like they'd chafe the hell out of the fat ass of the Busa. Don't know for sure, never saw in person.

For longer tours with many highway miles I use a Kriega US40 expandable tailpack. Sits on the backseat nicely, doesn't influence the handling of the bike like a big topbox does (especially in crosswinds) and there is no weigth or speed limit.

20220729_112207.jpg

I am on my second Gen 1 since about 2008 and not wanting to give it up anytime soon. My well accessorized 2010 Connie is by far the easiest bike to cruise on having put about 22K miles on it in 3 years. The wife likes it much better than the Busa but looks longingly at Gold Wings when she sees a real plush looking one.... Why you don't you buy that one she ask?

On the Connie I have a Guhl flash and and Area P pipe and it has enough power to keep me happy when I decide to run it hard through a few gears. I did race a Gen 2 in a number of roll ons while out with a group and he walked right away every time as we would expect. Keep in mind the Connie is geared taller by a considerable margin as compared to the Busa and weighs about 200 lbs more.

I like them both... each one has what I want in the configured way I have set up. Gas milage is about the same at 39 to 40 mpg.

I am on my second Gen 1 since about 2008 and not wanting to give it up anytime soon. My well accessorized 2010 Connie is by far the easiest bike to cruise on having put about 22K miles on it in 3 years. The wife likes it much better than the Busa but looks longingly at Gold Wings when she sees a real plush looking one.... Why you don't you buy that one she ask?

On the Connie I have a Guhl flash and and Area P pipe and it has enough power to keep me happy when I decide to run it hard through a few gears. I did race a Gen 2 in a number of roll ons while out with a group and he walked right away every time as we would expect. Keep in mind the Connie is geared taller by a considerable margin as compared to the Busa and weighs about 200 lbs more.

I like them both... each one has what I want in the configured way I have set up. Gas milage is about the same at 39 to 40 mpg.

Have you two gone on some demo days to test some big 2-up bikes?
(On a factory Indian demo day, I was allowed to take my friend and she also hated the group. On the dealer's demo, it had to be a solo test.)

Have you two gone on some demo days to test some big 2-up bikes?
(On a factory Indian demo day, I was allowed to take my friend and she also hated the group. On the dealer's demo, it had to be a solo test.)
Can't say that I have rode anything except some Harleys for a friend that buys and sells them occasionally. It was way back in 2008 that the Kawasaki guys were out on 4 different demo street bikes and that was my first opportunity to ride on a Concours 1400. I was impressed and knew I might own one someday.

My preference always leans towards DOHC in line 4 cylinder motorcycles as they appear to me to be the most powerful, plentiful and durable engines made. The newest version of the Gold Wing could change my mind if I gave it a chance. So many choices these days but I am pretty stuck in my ways and will likely stick to what I have right now.

Can't say that I have rode anything except some Harleys for a friend that buys and sells them occasionally. It was way back in 2008 that the Kawasaki guys were out on 4 different demo street bikes and that was my first opportunity to ride on a Concours 1400. I was impressed and knew I might own one someday.

My preference always leans towards DOHC in line 4 cylinder motorcycles as they appear to me to be the most powerful, plentiful and durable engines made. The newest version of the Gold Wing could change my mind if I gave it a chance. So many choices these days but I am pretty stuck in my ways and will likely stick to what I have right now.
A guy I know has rode Gold Wings it seems for as long as there was a bike named Gold Wing...

He bought the latest gen and said it is the best one yet, it is much lighter and sporty than the last one he had which was like a Hinda Accord on two wheels....

He said one thing he noticed is that nobody modifies these bikes as they are so good from the factory there is no need to.

A guy I know has rode Gold Wings it seems for as long as there was a bike named Gold Wing...

He bought the latest gen and said it is the best one yet, it is much lighter and sporty than the last one he had which was like a Hinda Accord on two wheels....

He said one thing he noticed is that nobody modifies these bikes as they are so good from the factory there is no need to.
Gold Wings have been pretty good from the start when everything is considered. I once had my heart set on a new 84 model minus the fairings and bags. In 84 Honda offered a naked Gold Wing but I pretty sure the numbers sold were very low. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 of them in my life. I once got to ride a 91 Gold Wing and was impressed with how it intuitively it handled. You just look where you want it to go and that is where you end up.

I've also got a '18 yellow BMW K1600 Grand America. I flashed the ECU back up to the early specs. It's a blast to ride longer distances on and it's fun it the sweepers. The locking bags make highway travel a lot better.

Back