Gen2 copart special: redemption

amirpc

Registered
Alright so I got another bike at auction. I paid about the same $6500 for it. I thought I got a good deal, it's a 2020.

This one I don't plan to have stolen, but as soon as i saw what I'd pay for I realize I'm in for it.

At first glance I thought it looked decent, clearly rear ended...but the parts all seemed mostly there.

IMG_9453.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

Then when I got it home I started glancing at the frame more carefully and I noticed two things:

1. The main frame has a snapped weld

IMG_9504.jpeg

2. The main frame is slightly bent on the left side

IMG_9505.jpeg

Sooooo I'm definitely going to have a project on my hands. Hey, at least it won't get stolen in the first month: It'll be in pieces in my garage for the next year!

So two questions:

1. Do I try to get it running before I worry about the frame, or do I just stick with the hardest problem first -> The frame?
2. Is there any point in trying to weld a cast aluminum frame, or should I just start stripping it down and looking for a salvage gen2 frame somewhere?

Last edited:
Personally I would look for a new frame. You could probably get away with welding it but it will always be a weak area. As for the side that’s bent you have to get that straightened.

I'm sort of leaning this way now. To get it welded and straightened I'll likely need to strip it down or mostly down anyway, if I'm going to do all that work...may as well just replace the frame.

Looking for other opinions here too!

Alright so I got another bike at auction. I paid about the same $6500 for it. I thought I got a good deal, it's a 2020.

This one I don't plan to have stolen, but as soon as i saw what I'd pay for I realize I'm in for it.

At first glance I thought it looked decent, clearly rear ended...but the parts all seemed mostly there.

View attachment 1633885

View attachment 1633886

Then when I got it home I started glancing at the frame more carefully and I noticed two things:

1. The main frame has a snapped weld

View attachment 1633887

2. The main frame is slightly bent on the left side

View attachment 1633888

Sooooo I'm definitely going to have a project on my hands. Hey, at least it won't get stolen in the first month: It'll be in pieces in my garage for the next year!

So two questions:

1. Do I try to get it running before I worry about the frame, or do I just stick with the hardest problem first -> The frame?
2. Is there any point in trying to weld a cast aluminum frame, or should I just start stripping it down and looking for a salvage gen2 frame somewhere?
Maybe check the fluids and get some power to it and see if it runs for a minute then go ahead and find a frame. Like u said it'd have to be stripped down to even think of welding it and no way out would ever be as strong and probably not completely straight either. After seeing how fast you moved on the last one of say it wouldn't take u no time to frame swap it. Definitely go thru and make sure the forks and everything else is good and not damaged because as bad as that one is u might be better off trying to sell the motor and some of the good parts and recoup your money and get a different bike if you find much else needing to be replaced.

Maybe check the fluids and get some power to it and see if it runs for a minute then go ahead and find a frame. Like u said it'd have to be stripped down to even think of welding it and no way out would ever be as strong and probably not completely straight either. After seeing how fast you moved on the last one of say it wouldn't take u no time to frame swap it. Definitely go thru and make sure the forks and everything else is good and not damaged because as bad as that one is u might be better off trying to sell the motor and some of the good parts and recoup your money and get a different bike if you find much else needing to be replaced.

yeah that's a good call. See if motor is good first the simple way. I tend to agree regarding the frame.

You paid too much for a broken bike. How could you not ‘notice’ a broken frame before giving $6,500 for it? There are plenty used bikes for that price that are runners. If you’re going to fix it you’ll need a new frame just to begin with.
These auctions you don't get to see bike first, just pictures. It's easy to hide things in them. I'm not sure I could have seen this break in pics.

Anyhow I wanted a broken bike :) I want something to do. Looks like I got it!

Imma go slower this time, step one is getting my garage cleaned out for a full disassemble.
Putting poop in storage tonight.

tomorrow I'm going to replace battery, check fluids and see if she will start.

Probably start sourcing a frame after that.
That's the way to do it....check the systems and if they are good, go after structure..

Slow down I'm taking notes
Seriously though, I'd be going through each and every system before disassembly to make sure this bike is actually worth the money you are about to spend resurrecting it...fuel, cooling, braking, electrical and engine. If it is a runner you are 50% on your way.

Finding a frame is pretty simple as there are several on ebay.

Seriously though, I'd be going through each and every system before disassembly to make sure this bike is actually worth the money you are about to spend resurrecting it...fuel, cooling, braking, electrical and engine. If it is a runner you are 50% on your way.

Finding a frame is pretty simple as there are several on ebay.

I hear you dude and appreciate the smartness in your words.

Im going to attempt this, and I'm going to bolt the frame to my house before I start.

Okay so last night I got stuff out of the way and hooked up a new battery.

I get dash lights but no dash info.

052FA1EC-C6F1-43AD-9643-477AB0F71200.jpeg

I for sure see the fuel pump relay is smashed

5D2E3FC0-BBD0-4706-9E78-941F5B0DE830.jpeg

The bike looks mechanically great, it's something electrical.

There is some minor damage to the ECU casing.
IMG_9697.jpeg

Any thoughts on how to go about diagnosing this?

Is there a process to test the ECM itself?

EDIT: NEVERMIND!

I found a fuel pump relay dead, replaced it and now the dash lights up with all controls!

Temperature showing hot when not started seems...odd...

IMG_9698.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay so last night I got stuff out of the way and hooked up a new battery.

I get dash lights but no dash info.

View attachment 1633949

I for sure see the fuel pump relay is smashed

View attachment 1633950

The bike looks mechanically great, it's something electrical.

There is some minor damage to the ECU casing.
View attachment 1633957

Any thoughts on how to go about diagnosing this?

Is there a process to test the ECM itself?

EDIT: NEVERMIND!

I found a fuel pump relay dead, replaced it and now the dash lights up with all controls!

Temperature showing hot when not started seems...odd...

View attachment 1633958
Probably the sending unit for the temp gauge, a smack like that in the behind would rattle quite a few things I figure...

You know I've done what you are doing now....I picked up a crashed '89 GSXR1100 Slingshot once long ago with 500kms on it for basically pennies..

I slowly pieced it all back together...it seemed like each time I got a system working good, a problem would pop up with another one.....and that bike was simple.

I finally got it running perfectly and looking like it should and didn't even get a license plate for it when a guy I knew HAD to have it and price was not an object...needless to say-off it went.

I did a similar thing with a little Yamaha Daytona Special I found in a farmer's front lawn with grass growing past it's handlebars...got that for $400 and spent a couple months making it a crazy, nut case of a bike-but got to ride that for a little while before selling it off. The guy who bought it decided to enter it in vintage racing and totaled it...at least he was way out in first place before doing it...

It was fun to have a project like these so I feel what you are doing.

Back