Gen1 vs gen 2 cams

The gen2 cams will work in a Gen1. Bearing will need to be flipped around and the retaining ring needs to be removed. Cam pin on the Intake is offset ~7°. Not a problem with a standalone application, but may need an offset cam pin for oem use.

John
I have a gen2 drag bike, stock motor, and looking to pick up a bit more. I've been reading about cam mods and swaps, just not sure what the best combination is? Dual intake, gen1 intake on gen2 exhaust side, leave it alone? I've also been looking at webb but most of their cams call for piston changes and headwork.

I only have experience with Yoshimura camshafts, but I use them in both gen 1 and Gen 2 hayabusa's and I have really like them. They do not require any modifications other than adjusting the valve lash.

My Gen 2 has been 1441 and now 1507 with the stage one cams and I can tell you they work really well. The fit and finish is excellent, and they give you instructions how to install them. If you know about cam timing you can adjust them however you like to change the power curve.

No matter what cams you get you will need to be able to time them, and adjust the lash.

thanks for the response. I'm considering the stage2 yosh cams, looks like all they need are different valve keepers and they should drop in.

The stage two cams have slightly more lift and a little more duration. In my opinion, they may not do well in a stock engine, but would probably work well with something with more compression and/or displacement.

I think the reason you have to buy their keepers, is that it may need a little more clearance from the valve guide. This is only a guess because I've not seen those parts to compare them against the stock keepers.

Had I known that I was going to go with a bigger bore I probably would have went with stage 2 cams. I mostly street ride so it's not too big of a deal for me.

Back