Gen1 vs gen 2 cams

I can say this much. When I first built my engine back in 2009 I was interested in the 2 intake cam mod but a engine builder told me the it will make more horsepower with two intake cams but the engine will loose some torque so I just kept the stock cams, oh and I have a gen1 as well. By the way I'm curious about the gen2 cams as well. Hopefully someone will respond with some info

Well if u compare a gen 1 ex cam and a gen 2, there’s a big difference. A gen 2 ex cam is pretty close to a gen1 intake cam, in lift. The popular swap is the dual intake on a gen1 but bcuz of that, gen 1 intake cams are like 150, but a gen 2 exhaust cam is like $60.

The swap isn’t as popular in a gen 2 bcuz the cams are already good, u don’t gain hardly anything.

The other thing is the lobes are slightly off when moving an intake to the exhaust side.

Well if u compare a gen 1 ex cam and a gen 2, there’s a big difference. A gen 2 ex cam is pretty close to a gen1 intake cam, in lift. The popular swap is the dual intake on a gen1 but bcuz of that, gen 1 intake cams are like 150, but a gen 2 exhaust cam is like $60.

The swap isn’t as popular in a gen 2 bcuz the cams are already good, u don’t gain hardly anything.

The other thing is the lobes are slightly off when moving an intake to the exhaust side.
Hi. DME gave my motor combo to Webb cams so DME and Webb worked out a custom grind for me. You can not just open the Webb cam book and pick out my cams. Also I do not think my cams would work very well in most other motors. As my red line is 13500 RPM

HEHEHEHE Lobes are never off when you degree them correctly Poke poke
:poke:

Well yea we talking close to stock and then your wild motor, but technically your cams would work in any head/valve combo that was ported to match those characteristics, it’s all just math.

HEHEHEHE Lobes are never off when you degree them correctly Poke poke
:poke:
Na it has nothing to do with degreeing, if u look close you’ll see the lobes arent perfectly centered over the buckets. Kinda nitpicky but a few ppl (frank included, who y’all love) swear it’ll spit a shim.

Just wanted to include all info

Last edited:
Haven’t seen u post in awhile

This guy knows everything there is to know about this stuff
I dont know about all that, but I have worked on a bike or 2 ;-).

I actually wasn't sure any forums were still around anymore.

Any questions at all about the setups I've used, I will answer. Need to get more people to stock with these stupid performance bikes, many have lost interest it seems. Not too many younger generation even looking at bikes at all.

So both Gen 2 cams will work in a Gen1? I am actually interested in the Yoshimura ST-1 cams in my Gen 1 but they are only available in Gen 2. I am not concerned about changing springs and degreeing them.

So both Gen 2 cams will work in a Gen1? I am actually interested in the Yoshimura ST-1 cams in my Gen 1 but they are only available in Gen 2. I am not concerned about changing springs and degreeing them.
The gen2 cams will work in a Gen1. Bearing will need to be flipped around and the retaining ring needs to be removed. Cam pin on the Intake is offset ~7°. Not a problem with a standalone application, but may need an offset cam pin for oem use.

John

Back