Gen1 Busa Gear Position indicator...

ThommoHawk

Registered
Hi all -

Newbie here in the UK and not yet an owner but I have been modifying a set of GEN1 clocks for a friend and thought you might be interested in them.

Blue backlighting, (nothing new there) but I've incorporated a gear position indication too by illuminating the numbers for gears 1-6. It also shows a kill switch condition by an animated pattern and both patterns and LED brilliance are user programmable from the normal odometer reset button.

Anyway, I've stuck a video on youTube and thought I'd post a link to see what you think.

[video=youtube_share;1moCE2sjNbs]http://youtu.be/1moCE2sjNbs?hd=1[/video]

I only returned to biking in 2007 after 27+ years away (now 48) and currently have a GSX1400 having only previously owned a 1977 RD250DX. A Busa would be nice but I figured I ought to re-acquaint myself with riding before getting too fast and the naked nature of the 1400 keeps me generally below 100mph as it gets a bit windy above that...

Anyway - great forum you have over there and I look forward to reading more about your rides..

Very slick :thumbsup::thumbsup: What are you using to drive the GPI display?

Thanks - I use a PIC Microcontroller IC. It reads the voltage from the gear position sensor then drives the LEDs. User setup is done via the odometer RESET button so all can be configured from the clocks themselves....

Awesome! What about neutral? I noticed the 0 doesn't light up? ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That is different and pretty dayum cool. Looks like US gauges, love the 220 ........ and the LEDs :laugh:

Your friend needs fuel :whistle:

Hmm - that's an interesting point...I notice that the sweep only goes to about 200, or the same angle as the tacho... does that look right to you? bearing in mind I've not seen a set of Gen1 clocks before.

Well - there is a green Neutral LED on the dash anyway, plus, in Neutral, the odo RESET button will not affect the operation of the conversion unless the kill-switch is enabled. I have noticed however that the RH-TURN LED does not seem to be lighting up green on power on so I better check that.

Wow amazing! Good job! How much to do mine :p lol

Thanks.. How much? - well probably not viable as the postage / timescales would make it not very appealing. I have done conversions for many other countries, mainly in Europe although Australia, New-Zealand. If you are really interested I'll give it some thought but postage and possible import/export issues/paperwork often put people off... I'm doing 4 sets from Denmark at the moment 2x GSX1400 and 2xSV1000 as grouping together shared the postage costs. The backlighting change for he BUSA requires some 30 LEDs to be replaced.

thats a must have mod homie i need on my bike NOW how do i do it P.M.D. =PUT ME DOWN on how to do it please

That is different and pretty dayum cool. Looks like US gauges, love the 220 ........ and the LEDs :laugh:

Your friend needs fuel :whistle:

Hmmm - I notice the needle sweep only goes to 200mph, roughly same angle as Tacho but the needles can be driven to 220mph as I have tested them on the bench, is this normal? All I know is they are Gen 1, are 220 ones only for USA market?

Yeah - no Neutral because there is a GREEN LED for Neutral already on the dash. Also - the ODOMETER RESET button only affects my circuit when in gear (when it dims the LEDs) or when KILL SWITCH is active, (where it selects the displayed warning pattern)..

Re doing the conversion for others... well I'd be happy to BUT there is the logistical element of getting things across the pond to me and back. I've done many conversions for owners around the world, primarily in Europe, France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Finland, Denmark, Sweden but also for Australia and New Zealand. The USA always seems to be an issue in getting things in and out with the correct paperwork. I have provided Kits in the past for a chap in Australia to convert GSX1400 clocks BUT I'm nervous of doing this as the work required is not for the feint-hearted and I would hate someone to have a problem with or damage their clocks during the process of conversion. I have done probably 90+ such conversions now and never had a failure or disappointed recipient.... Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know.

I thought I had posted this reply last night but it came up with a message about moderation approval so if this is a double post I apologise and perhaps a mod/admin can remove as they see fit.... thanks.

I'd pay for that! Well done. Please let me know if you're prepared to do it. I'd happily send my gauges to you from Australia and pay postage, etc...

Hi Pan - I'll try responding without quoting you as it seems to ask for moderator approval when I do. Anyway - here goes..

I've done conversions for GSX1400s in Australia and New Zealand before and would be happy to look at doing your Busa clocks but obviously the postage is not the cheapest. I'll weigh the set I have here and will try to give you an estimate of the postal cost and also the total for what you require. Actually, what do you require? The clocks shown have blue backlighting and also the Gear Position Indicator, so two elements of work.

I would also have to assume that -

a) you have standard dials? (I have only tried this with standard dials, where the tacho numbers are translucent so can only vouch for it working on standard ones)

b) that you don't have a TRE (timing retard eliminator) fitted, as these tend to force the gear sensor output to levels that tell the ECU you're in 4th or 5th for example. It would be possible to still make it work but the wiring to the sensor would have to be isolated from the TRE to ECU line.

c) you will be happy to sort the paperwork and put a value on them such that no import export duties are due. I say this as I have previously received clocks from AUS where there was an import duty expected upon arrival my end, to be paid BEFORE the courier would deliver the item. As the clocks were being returned, the owner managed to sort/pay it from his end and also to claim the tax back somehow... anyway I only mention it so as to make it clear and if done correctly I am sure there is not an issue. I think there is a level of something like AUS$450 max that has to be placed as a value, something like that. I think I valued the returned goods at AUS$400 and marked them as being 'RETURNED AFTER REPAIR'... Where there is a will there is a way.

Hope that all made sense and if you have any other questions, just ask away or email/pm me..:thumbsup:

EDIT: - I see this post has appeared on the forum ok, so I guess where I have quoted several of the previous member posts to answer questions, that is where my reply has been asked for approval. I am guessing that once a mod or admin checks them, they will appear....

That is AWESOME! I am currently learning programming and I think this may have to be a project!! I have a ton of experience is soldering, so not worried about that. Also have experience with LEDs, so not worried about that. If you don't mind helping, it would be nice to know what model PIC and your wiring diagram. But if you don't want to share, thanks for the idea. I will be trying this soon, currently looking for a "practice" set of gauges!

Back