6th gear indicator?

yzguyfl

Registered
I have seen many ideas for a gear indicator, but I really did not want any add on stuff on the dash (like the additional displays) and I really only care about a light that will let me know when I am in 6th. I did see one pretty trick idea of putting led’s under the numbers in the tach that lit up for what gear you were in, but this was pretty advanced, as it required a programmable ic chip, and did other functions (that I don’t really care about), and I’m not sure how viewable it is in the daylight.

I had an idea and wanted to see if anyone else had tried it, or had any helpful info.

Use the neutral LED to also indicate 6th gear with a different color. This could be done 2 ways, either replace the LED with a 3 pronged 2 color LED, so one color would be neutral and the other 6th (but I don’t know the specs on the stock LED) or another way would be to put another LED behind (under) the neutral LED. The latter would not really require any permanent modification to the stock cluster and should shine through, as the stock LED is mostly clear.

Your avatar shows a Gen II. They came from the factory with a gear indicator.

Don't know of anyone that's done what you're thinking.

I'm thinking a bi-color 3 leg LED is going to the answer for the display because the existing LED is soldered to the board (no room to fit another LED under it). The more difficult part, I would think, is making a clean tap into the gear position sensor wire and isolating the voltage output range for 6th gear to then trigger the proper voltage to light the LED.

There's some info here on how does gear sensor work.

Actually I have a 2006 motor frame, wiring and ecu but most everything else from a 2008. So my cluster is a first gen. The led is board mounted but not flush. It is off the board quite a bit to meet up with the face of the cluster. Plenty of room under it. I just had it apart to change the LEDs to blue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Oh and assume I already have the correct voltage and the indicator circuit that is totally separate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I saw his gear indicators but I was looking for something internal and more simple, just a light. I'll try emailing him to see if he has any info.

Back