Gen 3 Quickshifter Thoughts

E Zurcher

Registered
This is my first bike with a quick-shifter and I'm slowly getting used to it. So far I like using it under full throttle but downshifting is a little odd. I keep grabbing for the clutch and prefer to use the clutch when downshifting multiple gears. Got to retrain my brain. I was reading the service manual and was surprised to learn the difference in the modes was effort and travel required to shift gears. Most of the literature just says sport and city or touring mode. I keep it in city riding mode 2 all of the time and am surprised it does not default to that mode. I guess the sport mode is to ensure there are no accidental shifts on the track because it takes a stronger motion to change gears. I'm kind of curious how they control effort and throw of the shifter though. Maybe an electronic adjustment in the shift sensor itself that delays the ignition/throttle cut. I think doing so would be harder on the transmission though.

Just a few thoughts

I think once the ecu flash is available it will be better to deal with it because i notice mine slow in ether 1 or 2 setting city or sport mode with wide open throtle it causes the rear tire to spin ive tryed less pounds of air in the tire and she still does it i dont know if thats has happend to any other.

I came here hoping to find this topic!

I’ve been putting mine through the paces and I’m confused by this system. Here's my current settings…

TC off
Front wheel lift off
Power 1
QS sport mode

When I give it some proper throttle…

If I shift anywhere between 2k and 8k RPMs I get a nice quick shift with great traction hookup.

If I shift anywhere after 8k RPMs I get what feels like a slipper shift…. about half a second to a full second of lag before I get the the full gear. Every time!

I can’t figure out what that lag is. Sometimes I can get it to happen between 2k and 8k RPMs but it’s rare.

Robert- think the rear tire is spinning? I wondered the same! But I’m getting good miles out of this tire for all the spinning that should be going on.

It sure feels a lot like TC or FWL is on (even tho it’s off). Frustrating. Looking forward to this thread.

Edit: it could totally be user error on my part. I’ve never run a QS on a bike. If anyone has techniques or best practices I’m all ears for that too!

Last edited:

I’ve been putting mine through the paces and I’m confused by this system. Here's my current settings…

TC off
Front wheel lift off
Power 1
QS sport mode

If I shift anywhere between 2k and 8k RPMs I get a nice quick shift with great traction hookup.

If I shift anywhere after 8k RPMs I get what feels like a slipper shift…. about half a second to a full second of lag before I get the the full gear. Every time!

I can’t figure out what that lag is. Sometimes I can get it to happen between 2k and 8k RPMs but it’s rare.

Robert- think the rear tire is spinning? I wondered the same! But I’m getting good miles out of this tire for all the spinning that should be going on.

It sure feels a lot like TC or FWL is on (even tho it’s off). Frustrating. Looking forward to this thread.

Edit: it could totally be user error on my part. I’ve never run a QS on a bike. If anyone has techniques or best practices I’m all ears for that too!
Not if you are shifting at 8K?! That is too low. The cut in the QS is set for a certain RPM range. If you need a QS you should be hitting it hard so the shifts are at 9.5K to 11K I believe. But maybe the Gen 3 QS can adjust the cut time based on RPMs?

Rear tire psi?
Have you went back to look for small black marks on the road?
It could definately be spinning, especially if you have 42psi rear cold, as it'll heat up 2-3 more psi

Good questions! 38 psi rear cold.

I have not gone back to look for black marks. I will do that next in a safe place where I can test!

fallenarch- I agree! Too low. But I shift at 8k because it’s the highest RPM shift where I get what feels like a true quick shift with great traction.

I've had the same experience as justanotherbusa... not all the time but I have had the lag at near full throttle shifts..
Robert... you're stretched too and that would play a factor in slipping under throttle I would think.

Glad to hear it’s not just me!

I suppose another way to test would be to turn off the QS and just go old school clutchless shift and see if the same lag happens. Hmmmm… will leave QS on for now and look for black marks first.

TC off
Front wheel lift off
Power 1
QS sport mode

Like in 2 weeks i will be changing the rear tire im going to mount a Q4 and if this solves the problem i will let you people know

Glad to hear it’s not just me!

I suppose another way to test would be to turn off the QS and just go old school clutchless shift and see if the same lag happens. Hmmmm… will leave QS on for now and look for black marks first.
Ive done it and the tire doesnt feel like spinning thats why i think the bike is changing too slow betwen gears with the QS on but to be sure i will change the tire first

I've had the same experience as justanotherbusa... not all the time but I have had the lag at near full throttle shifts..
Robert... you're stretched too and that would play a factor in slipping under throttle I would think.
Yes but its just a few inches ive seen bikes with longer wheel base and ive seen Gen 3 with air shifters too i dont know if this solves the problem until the QS settings could be reached and changed with the flash or its just a preference.

TC off
Front wheel lift off
Power 1
QS sport mode

Can you please try it with the QS off at the same high RPMs and let us know if you still felt the same?

TC off
Front wheel lift off
Power 1
QS sport mode

Thats about the same setting i have in U3 but the Braking control at 3

You can qs alot lower than 8k
You can but most QS have a certain cut interval preset. If you shift below that RPM it will not work optimally. My BMW is very forgiving on this, allowing upshifts at just about any RPM. But it won't downshift unless the RPM is right. If you want to go down say, 2 gears you have to use the clutch. Even with their love of over-complication, the BMW QS does not adjust the cut times to RPM as far as I know and few if any aftermarket QS do either.

I actually read the post wrong because they didn't say they didn't shift above 8K they said when they do shift above 8K. So, if you're still reading this you have lost time you will never get back, haha Sorry people!

Well, I can't rightfully speak on the gen3, as I've yet to ride one.
But, with almost 3 years on the gsxr with the factory up/down QS, I can say it works incredibly well.
You basically have to lug the engine at super low rpm to get the QS to clunk into gear, which is completely understandable, yet it still works.
Shifting anywhere from 4k to redline is smooth. And the higher the rpm, the quicker and smoother it shifts up or down.

Well, I can't rightfully speak on the gen3, as I've yet to ride one.
But, with almost 3 years on the gsxr with the factory up/down QS, I can say it works incredibly well.
You basically have to lug the engine at super low rpm to get the QS to clunk into gear, which is completely understandable, yet it still works.
Shifting anywhere from 4k to redline is smooth. And the higher the rpm, the quicker and smoother it shifts up or down.
Yes, the same for the BMW. But if you were already clutchless upshifting even without the QS, the preload method works even smoother with the QS.

Back