Gen 3 quick-shifter

Bib the Boulder

Registered
Bought myself a brand new 2023 model Hayabusa today. While I was having my tutorial by the Suzuki mechanic I asked him to go into detail about the quick-shifter as I have no experience of them. His opinion was they are designed to be used only between 8 and 10 thousand revs when accelerating with the throttle pinned open, otherwise it will eventually lead to damage to the gearbox. Not heard this on any video I have watched of the new gen Hayabusa. Anyone got any thoughts or information on this?

Welcome from Central FL.
Lots of opinions on the QS and its use and function, I’ve learned to live with mine and it does very well.
I’ve never heard that it shouldn’t be used under 8k and I use it up and down under that range… waiting for someone more experienced with the QS to weigh in. Sixpack??

Welcome from Central FL.
Lots of opinions on the QS and its use and function, I’ve learned to live with mine and it does very well.
I’ve never heard that it shouldn’t be used under 8k and I use it up and down under that range… waiting for someone more experienced with the QS to weigh in. Sixpack??

Well, my gen3 experience is limited to have only sat on one, lol...but I have had the factory QS on the '18 gsxr1000R since new, with about 10k miles on it.
The gen3 is based on this, and theirs seem to be either flawless...or with several having shift lag and slip, especially on the 1-2 shift.
(I am thinking mechanical issues since flashes retiming spark kill and shift timing isn't fixing those particular bikes).
As for aftermarket QS's, they are recommended for higher rpm shifts, for Suzuki factory QS, they QS smoothly at 3k rpm, and even lower.
I regularly lazy QS the gsxr around 3-4k rpm, and it is super smooth and fast, and has never had an issue.
I will soon be putting ceramic transmission bearings in it, so I will get to inspect and measure the transmission, and get a more definative answer on just if and what kind of wear the factory QS has put on the transmission.
I am curious myself, but am optomistic, as again, this 1k has been Flawless.
The bearings will be here next week, and it'll take me several weeks to get to it, as I have a couple more bikes to finish first...but I Will be posting a detailed thread with pictures, and as much info as possible. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Well, my gen3 experience is limited to have only sat on one, lol...but I have had the factory QS on the '18 gsxr1000R since new, with about 10k miles on it.
The gen3 is based on this, and theirs seem to be either flawless...or with several having shift lag and slip, especially on the 1-2 shift.
(I am thinking mechanical issues since flashes retiming spark kill and shift timing isn't fixing those particular bikes).
As for aftermarket QS's, they are recommended for higher rpm shifts, for Suzuki factory QS, they QS smoothly at 3k rpm, and even lower.
I regularly lazy QS the gsxr around 3-4k rpm, and it is super smooth and fast, and has never had an issue.
I will soon be putting ceramic transmission bearings in it, so I will get to inspect and measure the transmission, and get a more definative answer on just if and what kind of wear the factory QS has put on the transmission.
I am curious myself, but am optomistic, as again, this 1k has been Flawless.
The bearings will be here next week, and it'll take me several weeks to get to it, as I have a couple more bikes to finish first...but I Will be posting a detailed thread with pictures, and as much info as possible. Stay tuned.
Thanks for this detailed reply. Look forward to your findings...

Use it all the time, clutchless shifted G1&2

CDE9EB40-985C-4176-B355-94A0602C69AF.jpeg

Back