Gen 2 Hayabusa Transmission Work

Hayabusa133

Registered
I have a 2011 Street /strip busa running 40hp dry NOS kit. Will be doing head work soon and would like to install high performance output shaft, micropolish and under cut the transmission gears etc.

Can anyone recommend good transmission service shops?
I'm thinking abt sending my transmission to Robinson Industries

I have had good experiences with Fast by Gast. Why would you change the output shaft on a Gen2 for your combination?

Why would you change the output shaft on a Gen2 for your combination?

I can think of a few reasons, here is one: stock output shaft on left, heavy duty output shaft on right. You decide . . .

IMG_1022(1).JPG

Is that a Gen-2 shaft? Was it broken on a mild motor with 40 hp? I know lots of guys (including me) that run stock Gen-2 outputs with more power than that and I don't personally know anybody that has broken a Gen-2 shaft.

Is that a Gen-2 shaft? Was it broken on a mild motor with 40 hp? I know lots of guys (including me) that run stock Gen-2 outputs with more power than that and I don't personally know anybody that has broken a Gen-2 shaft.

The heavy duty output shaft for the Gen 2 is bigger and stronger than the stock output shaft, that is a fact. The one shown in the picture was on a Gen 1 Stage One turbo that snapped the shaft on a holeshot. It was probably putting down around 200 horse at the time: and at the same time, the clutch grabbed, the chain grabbed, and the tire hooked, hard. No spin, and in less than a second the chain was on the ground. So under certain circumstances, it can happen. This is not the first time I've seen this. If you are going into the transmission anyway, undercutting, micropolishing, etc., a heavy duty Robinson output shaft is a great idea and good insurance that you won't be going into the bottom end for trans work in the near future . . .

For sure an improved output shaft is solid insurance, and if money is not an issue why not? Gen-2 output shafts are better than Gen-1 though so it is likely insurance the OP doesn't need. It's his money though. I just changed my stock trans after 4000+ passes including a lot of nitrous passes. The dogs were beat up a bit and one of the gears has some pitting but the output shaft was fine.

For sure an improved output shaft is solid insurance, and if money is not an issue why not? Gen-2 output shafts are better than Gen-1 though so it is likely insurance the OP doesn't need. It's his money though. I just changed my stock trans after 4000+ passes including a lot of nitrous passes. The dogs were beat up a bit and one of the gears has some pitting but the output shaft was fine.

I agree. A Gen 2 with a 40 shot doesn't really need this, it would be overkill. Unless, of course, he was spraying right out of the hole with a slick on the back, that might change things. Nitrous grudge bikes use the heavy duty output shafts, but that is a WAY different league there. So yes, if money is not an issue and you want the best you can get, I would go with the Robinson heavy duty output shaft. If the OP decides to spray more down the road, it will be one less thing to worry about!

Thanks for all the input guys. I spoke to Frank...will be sending my transmission to him next year as soon as I get the time to take the motor out.

Back