Gen 2 busa Ticking at idle/ Backfiring on release of throttle.

AndysBusa

Registered
Just bought a 2011 hayabusa with 6k miles. it ticks at idle goes away with acceleration if my rpms are high enough it backfires a bunch on release of throttle. this bike has ebay shorty pipes directly under the bike any ideas? it honestly makes me not even want to ride it because i dont have the money to really fix it if it explodes. thanks guys.

Welcome....

Yes just like @Kiwi Rider said, diagnosing something like that is a real challenge over the internet.

If I were to take a guess I'd say it could be an exhaust leak depending on what it sounds like. The old adage of look, listen and feel comes into play. Try to listen to where the noise is coming from...you can use a screwdriver as a sort of stethoscope to pin point the source....

As for the pop on decel-a pretty common thing with aftermarket pipes and even more so with short ones like that...there is a mod you can do (use the search function) with a marble that will stop this.

Ticks at idle... I'd be checking the clutch bolts
Put up a short video of the bike running if you can, so we can get a better idea of the actual tone of the ticking.
Welcome....

Yes just like @Kiwi Rider said, diagnosing something like that is a real challenge over the internet.

If I were to take a guess I'd say it could be an exhaust leak depending on what it sounds like. The old adage of look, listen and feel comes into play. Try to listen to where the noise is coming from...you can use a screwdriver as a sort of stethoscope to pin point the source....

As for the pop on decel-a pretty common thing with aftermarket pipes and even more so with short ones like that...there is a mod you can do (use the search function) with a marble that will stop this.

The good thing is going into the clutch is an easy thing to do and one I'd check off the box regardless...

It's advised to take the clutch pack bolts out, lock-tite them just for peace of mind...mine backed out last season...it was relatively quick and painless to do the procedure.

I picked up a new gasket even though others have had success using the old one.

The good thing is going into the clutch is an easy thing to do and one I'd check off the box regardless...

It's advised to take the clutch pack bolts out, lock-tite them just for peace of mind...mine backed out last season...it was relatively quick and painless to do the procedure.

I picked up a new gasket even though others have had success using the old one.

+1
and you can do it on the kickstand without draining the oil.

Pull the shorty slip-on off the bike and run it that way. Cuz I think it's (exhaust leak) at the slip-on. Does the ticking reduce/disappear once the bike warms up to op temp?

Back