gen 1 starting problem ,

ryoken1972

Registered
Hello, i have a gen 1 that's giving me a head ache starting ,
its done 15k keep up with service but she doesn't move a great deal (50 miles in 3 years)., anyway, I've got a pretty weird starting problem , i shall try to explain
turn alarm off, (data tool system 3) been on the bike since new.
so it does this .....
turn alarm off...
ignition on, get the self test from the bike , that's ok, hear the fuel pump priming press starter button, you hear the starter solenoid, and nothing.
then about 10 seconds later the alarm RE activates,. so you have to ignition off, disable alarm and try again ,
this is a fairly new problem tbh,
i hope some one can give me some pointers,
i have posted a vid on utube, which shows what she does not sure me pressing the starter for that long was a good idea but , last time i did it like that it fired up
i was a member on here before many years ago , but forgot my credentials and the email i used i no longer have access to

yeah, slight update , in touch with an alarm guy earlier , he gave me some simple tasks to do, which basically was, alarm armed put ignition on alarm should sound . nope it didn't ,
alarm armed, ignition on , put lights on , horn , indicators, everything works as normal with the ign on and alarm armed, so he said the alarm isn't seeing the ignition feed. suspect alarm fault , I've checked the ign fuse and that's ok, so he's going to come out when its suitable. plus i cant check the starter solenoid on the bike as the alarm tamper switch is near the relay, and i cant remove the rear panel as i cant put the alarm into service mode so its a catch 22.

rip out the f*** ing alarm and try again
My thoughts exactly!
But I do understand why you have an alarm, bike lives in a tent outside all year long, and is prone to theft . .
It is the UK after all and bikes go missing on a regular basis.
But the alarm is going to need to be removed or repaired/replaced.

yeah, slight update , in touch with an alarm guy earlier , he gave me some simple tasks to do, which basically was, alarm armed put ignition on alarm should sound . nope it didn't ,
alarm armed, ignition on , put lights on , horn , indicators, everything works as normal with the ign on and alarm armed, so he said the alarm isn't seeing the ignition feed. suspect alarm fault , I've checked the ign fuse and that's ok, so he's going to come out when its suitable. plus i cant check the starter solenoid on the bike as the alarm tamper switch is near the relay, and i cant remove the rear panel as i cant put the alarm into service mode so its a catch 22.
Ok, can you take the seat off?
Check the battery voltage, should be 12.5v min.
If lower than 12.2v, charge it.
Very unlikely it's a faulty starter relay.

Back