Gen 1 Paint Protection Film.. Any Ideas?

Kiwi Rider

Registered
I’m after info from members here about paint protection film and where to get it, what’s the best and easiest to apply etc.
Anyone here recently purchased a product with pre cut panels?
Any relevant info much appreciated!

I’ve seen 3m clear wrap done on some bikes down here. I have no experience applying it but the videos make it look easy enough. Not sure where you could get this type of product out there.

I’ve seen 3m clear wrap done on some bikes down here. I have no experience applying it but the videos make it look easy enough. Not sure where you could get this type of product out there.
Thanks for your input Jerry, I'm searching the net and there's so many different brands and grades I'll have to learn more about the whole thing.
I was kinda hoping someone would have a link to a custom made skin kit ready to apply lol.

I am running the 3M Scotchgard 8 mil paint protection film. I love this stuff. Wet application with a few drops of baby shampoo and alcohol/water and voila. The little 3m plastic squeegees work best to get the bubbles out. I made patterns myself and cut it all. I put it on every possible point of contact on my bike. If you are standing <2ft away you can see it, after that its virtually undetectable. The roll in the link below is more than enough for everything I have done and then some. Somewhere on here (darned if I could find them on here) I posted up printable Patterns in PDF format for my Gen 1, I have made some smaller bits since then as well.

Areas I have it on. Tank top and rear, rear hump and the tail section where it and the drivers seat touch, entire belly wing, Front fender sides and rear section where the brake lines rub, trailing edges of the fairing sides where your knees sit, lower leading edges of the fairings where the front tire bathes everything with gravel. Areas I still need to hit are the front fender leading edge, and the nose of the fairing as both are high curvature areas and take some finesse to get all the bubbles out.

I am running the 3M Scotchgard 8 mil paint protection film. I love this stuff. Wet application with a few drops of baby shampoo and alcohol/water and voila. The little 3m plastic squeegees work best to get the bubbles out. I made patterns myself and cut it all. I put it on every possible point of contact on my bike. If you are standing <2ft away you can see it, after that its virtually undetectable. The roll in the link below is more than enough for everything I have done and then some. Somewhere on here (darned if I could find them on here) I posted up printable Patterns in PDF format for my Gen 1, I have made some smaller bits since then as well.

Areas I have it on. Tank top and rear, rear hump and the tail section where it and the drivers seat touch, entire belly wing, Front fender sides and rear section where the brake lines rub, trailing edges of the fairing sides where your knees sit, lower leading edges of the fairings where the front tire bathes everything with gravel. Areas I still need to hit are the front fender leading edge, and the nose of the fairing as both are high curvature areas and take some finesse to get all the bubbles out.
And if the day comes you need to remove this, would it be via heat or?

Hey thanks for that link!
I’m ordering a roll tonight, that’s a big roll 12 by 72” !
I’ll see if I can find the PDF for the cut outs you posted up… cheers man!

Back