saddlebag paint protection?

Brick

Registered
Has anyone figured out a way to protect the paint from saddlebags?

I have a pair of Joe Rocket sport saddlebags from a previous bike.  They fit the Hayabusa great, just the paint will need some protection from the bags and straps.

I know of 2 possible solutions:
Corbin Beetle Bags [$!!!].
Tankslapper [but his appears too thin a material to last].
Any other innovative product ideas?   ...carbon fiber kits, standoff mounts...

I was just looking around and found your post. Over the years I have dealt with the same issue. I've had a number of different styles/brands of saddlebags. Currently using OSI soft Saddlebags. They have 2 wide velcro strap that go over the rear seat. I went to Autozone and found an "imitation" sheep skin/white fur pile for a single bucket seat cover. It's thick and very soft. I use it like a saddle blanket. Just put it on top of the back seat (fur side down) and put the saddlebags on top of the cover. Carefully position the seat cover and bags where only the soft fur is the only thing touching. The weight of the bags now on both sides, and the top straps, hold themselves in place. My tail pack then sits on top of the rear seat and side saddlebags and is strapped down. PLEASE! READ THIS AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE! YOU MUST MAKE SURE THE BAGS AND WHATEVER LUGGAGE YOU USE ARE VERY WELL STRAPPED DOWN. THE BAGS DO CATCH WIND AND YOU CANNOT RIDE THE BIKE AS IF THE BAGS ARE NOT THERE. About 10 years ago I was loaded down and ready to cross the country. I had my side saddlebags, a top tail pack on top of the seat the full width of both sadllebags. I thought I had a very good system of tying everything down. I got caught behind a slow moving logging truck. I down shifted to pass. I made it around the truck and as I was coming back into my lane around 130MPH, (Busa's get up there in the blink of an eye) The 2 front straps of my tailpack snapped, the 2 rear straps held. The G forces and wind blew the bag back and off. The rear straps allowed the bags to swing back, down, and into the rear tire. Upon contact, the bag went up and between the tire and rear fender, fully extending my rear suspention and locked my rear wheel. I was doing 130! I left a skid mark to be entered into the Guinness Book. I fishtailed left and right too many times to count. I went down on the right side and slid off the shoulder and into a small ditch. Fortunatly I was able to sit atop of the sliding bike only suffering some road rash from my initial contact with the pavement. I was able to keep it up until my speed came down to around 40 mph. My brand new rear tire wore down to the cord in that one spot. Don't take this subject litely. Think about it and be certain. Better safe than sorry. (damn, I sound like my Dad. Sorry).

Hope this helps.
BUSA1 (Mike)

3M makes a clear film with a removable adhesive on the back that may be what you are looking for. last time i checked it was avail at most auto refinish stores in a couple of different thicknesses and in varying sized sheets. i have a piece of it on the top of my gas tank to protect it from my tank bag, you can bearly tell it is there.

ummm, just had a look and www.xpel will get you into a site that sells the 8 mill and 12 mill ultra clear 3M film that has the clear adhesive.

i am using the 12 mill over my driving lights on my car to protect them from rocks and from being blasted by sand.

hope that is of some help for you.

Oxford, makes a mesh type of material that will protect your paint while you have panniers on the bike. The material can be cut to shape you need

Back