Caution on Tankslapper Protection

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
I purchased the full tankslapper protection kit which comes with protection for pretty much the entire bike if you can figure out where it all goes.(No diagram is included)I noticed a problem when I removed one of the protective films from the back of the bike (I figured it didn't need the protection there after all).....there is a film left over! Arghhhh!
firedevil.gif
My beautiful black paint job is permanently tattooed from whatever came off the protective sheet. It's not bad but noticeable if you're looking. I've tried to buff it out...no joy.
I still have the kit elsewhere on the bike because I figure I still need the protection. Wouldn't recommend this mod to anyone especially those with the fastest color...black.

(BlueHaya @ Jul. 03 2007,20:05) What did you use as the liquid to apply it with ?
I used a rubbing alcohol / water mixture for the non-3M film and a shampoo / water mixture for the 3M film. I contacted Tankslapper and to their credit they were very responsive with possible causes and even a solution. They state that either my wax and solution had a bad reaction or the solution itself was incorrect and that a professional can buff out the 'fog' created by the film.

Glad to hear they were responsive and that there is a fix.

I put mine on with plain water, it's been on for over two years, and I don't have that problem (crossing fingers)

I have it all over the tank. Knee pockets, belt buckle area, and top of tank (protection against the tank bag).

I really like the stuff. Does a great job.

Busa_001_4_2_05.jpg

Sorry about your paint! I've had mine on for 4 years now and haven't had a problem. I used water to apply mine.

No problems with mine, no solutions, and it takes about 5 seconds to install and remove.

DSC02716__Small_.JPG

I've been talking further with Lucas at Tankslapper (real friendly, responsive guy) by email. Pretty much the bottom line is whatever happened isn't permanent (we think) and should go away after time. I never saw the dullness left behind until I removed one film panel from the rear so unless you have reason to remove a piece you'll probably never see the issue I had. Maybe you'll never see it at all for that matter. Unfortunately for me the issue does exists so I offer my experience as a 'caution' to others.

Don't get yourself in a tank slapper situation and you will not need tank slapper protection LOL!!! or get yourself a good after market steering dampener
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif
Thanks. I used the alcohol also. I never have waxed the bike though, just spray cleaner.

Thanks for the heads up and keep us up to date on any developments.

Back