Gear indicator problem

Smdbusa

Registered
Hi Guys,

i bought a Gen 2 Hayabusa last week but have small problem with it. The gear indicator shows 4th gear in any gear.
it shows N and 4, doesnt matter in what gear i ride it always shows 4.

any one a idea?

I believe the actual switch is located behind the clutch basket (I'm checking the manual on that right now...)
But there is also a gear position switch coupler which can be accessed under the fuel tank (this is page 1I-9 [one-i-nine] from the Gen 2 Service manual):
GPS1.png

And as soon as I get to the actual switch, I'll post a pic of that from the manual

Gear Position Switch Install/Removal starts at page 5B-11 of the Gen2 Service manual.

Yep, the switch is behind the clutch, so the manual calls for oil drain & removal of "primary driven gear assembly" to get to the actual switch.

GPS2.png

GPS3.png

Hope this helps!

[EDIT] Of course, it might just be a faulty connection, either at the coupler or the actual switch. but if you've gone to the trouble of pulling the clutch assembly, may as well replace the switch.
My '14 has a similar issue ... gear indicator works fine for months, then disappears from the instrument panel for days, then comes back, then disappears again... I haven't bothered to troubleshoot the cause, but at least I know where to begin!

Last edited:
Its a know failure issue.Mine failed at about 3000 miles. I was busy with other krap so member @hayabuser did the job for me. Did it do this from the time you bought it or did just start? Could be a reason they sold it. Not a huge deal,I did one years ago. I think they are in the 100 dolla range. Dont forget the cover gasket if you order an' indicator.
Rubb.

(...) Not a huge deal,I did one years ago. I think they are in the 100 dolla range. Dont forget the cover gasket if you order an' indicator.

yes rubb right - and the entire work can be done with a small amount of tools.
but what you definitely need :
- kinda loctite (middle strong)
- pressed air ´n tool for the clutch´s nut
- two torque wrenches - 4-20 Nm and a big one, 50 - 200Nm for the nut (gen1 needs 95 Nm, gen2 needs 150 Nm , both plus locking the clutch sleeve hub nut with a center punch. )

the new cover gasket - better to have, yes!, but in 98% not necessary. my new one (from 2010) is still waiting to be used ;)
the original is usually coated with graphite and don´t glue to the cover/trans box.
so if you screw carfully the gasket will "overlive" and can be used sveral times - my experiance.

the entire work needs some 1.5-2 hours from very 1st to very last screw (bike 100% completed) - my experiance by already 3 or 4 replacements.

little edit:

for controling the part´s numbers see :
select some years + type of bike and you can see what part exactly is the same.
(only sprayed pieces / fairings have for sure different no´s caused by color)

Hey Guys,

After a long time i had finaly the time to do something about this issue en wanted to share the solution with you guys.

The solution was much easier than we tought. nothing is broken, evrything is working fine, the previous owner had the so called TRE mod installed! ( tre mod | Busa Mods )
I removed the mod box and evrything is as it should be.

Thank you al for your help!

Back