gear indicater stuck in 5 th gear

rocktober

Registered
what would make the gear indicater be stuck in 5 th gear, i added a pc 3 and a tre, on the way home i noticed this......thanks in advance

The TRE is telling the ECU it is always in fifth gear. Your gear indicater is simply seeing the same voltage that goes to the ECU.

This post is now just to increase my count.

Last edited:
what would make the gear indicater be stuck in 5 th gear, i added a pc 3 and a tre, on the way home i noticed this......thanks in advance

does a TRE help the proformace on a 08 busa

I TRE will cause the gear read out to always read 5th gear, because it makes the bike think it is always in 5th gear, because the 5th gear map is what makes for the smoother more crisp throttle response. As far as performance over all, that is a perception. A TRE alleviates the speed restrictor, because it fools it to think it is in 5th gear. If you are looking at performance in lower gears, that is perception as well. My perception is that it makes the throttle response and crispness better in lower gears, so yes one could say that it "performs" better. I had a TRE for several months, and took it off cause I hated not knowing what gear I was in. Didnt the TRE tell you that your selector would always read 5th gear?

It will make the bike run smoother in most gears because it uses the 5th gear timing map.

On mine it made the cold start and lower RPM is a bit more twitchy, but not by much.

I think I remember some of the drag racers having this discussion some time ago and as I remember, adding a tre actually made their times go up slightly?

From my own personal experience, I cannot tell any difference in the bikes performance with or without the TRE. Throttle response without the TRE is already as smooth as a babys azz. I can't tell the difference.

try the x-tre, just installed one today and it works wonderfull.. throttle response is very crisp and you have 3 dfferent maps on it.

The boost by smith TRE will work with the gear indicator up to 5th gear, when you go to 6th it will indicate 5th. Pic.of a 6th gear rolling burnout just for fun.:whistle:

DSCN7900.jpg

I think I remember some of the drag racers having this discussion some time ago and as I remember, adding a tre actually made their times go up slightly?

True on stock wheel base bikes, do to 5th gear mapping retards timing and helps in "not wheeling as much from the dig". However, on stretched bikes, this is not the case. :beerchug:

Pashnit sells them (sponsor on this site). He even mentions that the X-Tre fixes this problem. Claims a 9hp boost in the lower gears (1-3).

Not to be rude but if you already put it on and didn't know it would read 5th or what else it would do to your bike then you really didn't do your homework. A little research before you do a mod.will save you time and money so you don't waste it on something you don't like or need and then end up being disapointed. Not sure of your reasons for installing a TRE but..........Too many guys do this before they know all the side effects because they heard "it was the thing to do" or some other BS when all they wanted to do was derestrict their bike and ended up with a non-functioning gear indicator and a messed up idle. There are, IMO, better "TRE'S" or "deresrictors" out there that won't leave your indicator reading 5th all the time. Maybe you can return that one if you don't like it and with a little research find one that won't do that.:thumbsup:

Back