Gas Tank

javie

Registered
So I take my bike out of the garage today and theres a huge dent in the gas tank. Plumbers were in and out of my garage all day yesterday.. I'm not happy. Anyhow my question is this: how hard is it to get dents out and how do I do that? Or do I have to buy a new gas tank?
sad.gif

Do you see any wipe marks or fresh scrapes?A huge dent you will need tank,small one maybe able to have suctioned out..

I have a 2006 Black/Grey gas tank without gas cap or fuel pump I could part with if you need it.

There aren't any scratches or anything just looks like a blunt force impact. I'll try and get a picture up on here if I can borrow a friends camera. If I can suction it out that'd rock.. otherwise looks like I'm raising hell with the plumbers -_-

two other methods used on tanks ( which involve removing the tank and draining it and were done on tanks w/o internal fuel pumps and NOT creased) is to use compressed air to pop out the dent by pressurizing the tank, or fill with water and freeze, keeping close watch to remove when the dent pops out so you don't split the tank. I did this on my 96 cbr. took a few tries, but it worked. good luck

That's a pretty kick @$$ ideal, I heard from a old skool HD lady to take a heat gun to it for awhile then throw some dry ice on it and it "should" pop out. Thanks for the ideal!

That's a pretty kick @$$ ideal, I heard from a old skool HD lady to take a heat gun to it for awhile then throw some dry ice on it and it "should" pop out. Thanks for the ideal!
Metal has a memory and wants to return to its stamped position. Be care with the heat/cold. If done right, the metal will go back in place. If done wrong, you can warp the metal and make it worse.

Ive used a paintless dent removal (dent doctor) on mine before. Like like new when done.

Question: I just realized.. gas tanks are huge.. What kinda freezer did you use to put the tank in? Or did you leave her outside in the cold?

Question: I just realized.. gas tanks are huge.. What kinda freezer did you use to put the tank in? Or did you leave her outside in the cold?
a friend of mine had a sub 0 chest freezer. used a 2 gallon water jug as an early warning meter. when the water jug freezes, the gas tank will be pretty close. you wont be able to open the gas cap, so monitor your tank closely! keep checking your seams. if you have to leave for a while, just put it in the fridge to slow the thaw. when done, I thawed it in the sink with running cold water until it melted enough to get the cap open, then warm water inside, dried with alcohol, and filled as soon as I could. kept a full tank for a few weeks, no rust problems in the next few years 'till I sold it.

Back