gen 1 gas tank cleaning!

Djroulette

Registered
Hey guys, first post, I've always been able to just read post and solve my issues. I have a blue/silver 05 busa. I laid it down about a month ago, due to riding while fatigued. only cosmetic damage left side of bike, left fairing, upper fairing, bent fairing stay and dented gas tank bad. the bike hit a 4x4 post. I ordered a gas tank off ebay with no dents, although rust on the inside. I want to clean it by the methods on this site. kerosene and bb's. how do I plug the wholes to hold the kerosene? do I use my fuel pump? I wouldn't want any of the debris to get inside the pump. also even though the bike is wrecked I still ride it proudly.

Officially welcome since this is your first post. I had an old GPz that the tank kept rusting on me. I cleaned it numerous times without the best of results. It would leave me stranded with a clogged filter, so bad actually that I started carrying extra fuel filters with me everywhere I went. You may not have that problem, but I finally ended up using a Kreem Kit. Kreem LIQUID FUEL TANK LINER KITS - JCWhitney It worked for me.

Thanks for the welcome! Also thanks for advice on sealer kit. My problem lies with the hole for the pump and gas cap. I still ride my bike and rather not take anything off of my bike to plug holes. Especially the pump. Can I get away with duct tape? I'm not worried about the paint on the replacemen tank because it will be getting repainted

The Kreem kit will work great, as for sealing the the holes, go find large diameter rubber corks.
Thanks for the welcome! Also thanks for advice on sealer kit. My problem lies with the hole for the pump and gas cap. I still ride my bike and rather not take anything off of my bike to plug holes. Especially the pump. Can I get away with duct tape? I'm not worried about the paint on the replacemen tank because it will be getting repainted

Leave pump oring in bottom of tank. Cut a piece of metal or plastic out in a circle, drill holes for bolts by pattern on tank bottom and bolt down that will seal the bottom. I use a little gas and bb's do continous rinses with fresh gas. Then put fresh stuff in and some bb's and put cap on top turn upside down and do cap area but pull bottom to drain it and you should be good. That tank sat somewhere with moisture or fuel was left in it and condesated and started rusting.

Back