Gas tank overfill hose

SoBad

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys this is posted in the techincal section and was finally figuerd out. This is just a heads up to all of you, I noticed some bubbling paint on the lower fairing of my bike and found that right were the damage starts there is a tube coming from the gas tank I didn't think gas could do this but apparnetly it can.

<!--EDIT|SoBad
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125002372 -->

hose1.jpg

WOW!!! I need to look at mine and see if I can find that hose... that sucks!!!

At least you found out what the problems is. I would consider that a warranty issue!!!

Sounds to me like bad designing

I still don't think gas would do that. Maybe with the heat from the header but think of your gas tank and how many times a couple drops or splashes from filling land on it. If gas did that to the paint you would see it there first. Maybe there was an exposed portion of the paint doen there and the gas leaked under it. That could cause that peeling.
smile.gif

Whatever the cause, i hope the dealer doesn't give you a hard time. Come to thik of it im going to check my drain tubes right now. Thanks for the info..

I dont think that has anything to do with gas directly!!

...but there maybe a gas leak, which inflamed cause of the exhaust heat and ended up doing that. But whatever the cause I thing the stealership is liable to set it right for you mate.

Gasoline has this nifty effect of acting as a solvent on some paints, so yeah, it could have something to do with it -- it really depends on the type of paint itself.

(And for info, the gas tank is 5.5gal (5.0 for the CA model))

I just checked mine and it is very small but i have the same thing. Is the dealership going to charge me just to look at it? Has anyone taken their's to get checked? If so what was the outcome.

I've got the same going on and still haven't found out if it will be covered by Suzuki.  It's 05 red and black like you two guys that are getting the stripping.  Maybe it was a bad run of paint along with the gas and heat.  Is this happening with other years or even other colors of 05?

<!--EDIT|mcbradshaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125180885 -->

WOW!!! I need to look at mine and see if I can find that hose... that sucks!!!

At least you found out what the problems is. I would consider that a warranty issue!!!

Sounds to me like bad designing
Hey thrash or for anyone else who is curious. Those hoses (there are two of them) that come from the gas tank usually reside on the right side of the bike and routed directly behind (the left side) of the crankcase. They should point directly to the ground.

My hose is resting on the back of the plastic. I guess that's why the gas just ran down the panel and pooled on the bottom.

My '05 (blue & silver) looks fine, but thanks for posting the problem. I may extend that hose a bit, just in case.

Hope your dealer takes care of the problem for you.

This still doesn't make sense at all. 1.Why would you have gas leaking from a hose that could be exposed to hot exhaust pipes or running out on the ground. 2.Wouldn't you smell the gas fumes if this was the problem? 3.You keep using the term tank overfill hose, I have filled my tank so far I had to sop some of it out to close the cap. 4.Are you sure it's not in place to drain the tank if needed, therefore requiring a shutoff valve that may possibly be cracked open a bit allowing it to run out, again see #2. Just trying to make sense of this.

Back